Love Unfulfilled in Dorthonion by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Fanwork Notes

What could the love of Andreth and Aegnor, unfulfilled though it was, have felt like to the rest of her family?

Written for B2MEM 2016, to the prompts:

2009 - Write a story, poem or create an artwork where the characters face a great danger
or
where characters reflect on their reaction to a great danger.

2008 – March 3. Beginnings: birth

2007 – Like A Bathing Boromir

 

 

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Andreth, called Saelind by the Elves, had her heart broken by Aegnor...

...but Aegnor was no less wounded by his actions. He poured out his heart to his beloved twin, Nerwen, just before flame engulfed Dorthonion...

...and later, remembering his death, he relates his last moments to Findis.

Major Characters: Aegnor, Andreth, Angrod, Boromir (House of Bëor), Bregolas, Bregor, Celeborn, Findis, Galadriel, Gundor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Poetry

Challenges: B2MeM 2016, B2MeM 2018, Breaking Boundaries

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 1, 295
Posted on 4 March 2016 Updated on 4 March 2018

This fanwork is complete.

Love Unfulfilled in Dorthonion

Read Love Unfulfilled in Dorthonion

“Aegnor,” Andreth sank to her knees beside the fallen pine upon which her love sat, stretching her hands out to him. “Beloved, I beg of thee, listen, I need thee. Thou knowest how we desire each other, and this love is true. Why should we not wed?”

Aegnor bowed his golden head, the flame of passion burning brightly in his eyes and – elsewhere in his body, though he willed Andreth not to see how much he hated to pain her. O Nerwen, my sister, other half of my fea, how I wish thou wert with me! He missed his twin dreadfully, though his brother Angrod perhaps understood him better than she. Still, a woman’s touch was required in such a delicate situation…and he knew what Nerwen would think of that. Delicate she was not. He gave himself a mental shake and refocused.

“Saelind,” he said softly. “I love thee, I would die for thee, but I cannot wed thee while the shadow of war looms over us. My kind do not bring forth children in such times. Do not ask of me what I cannot give.” He rose fluidly and hastily turned away.

“Cannot, or will not?” she cried. “Aegnor!” But he leaped lightly over the fallen tree and she knew, as he sped off, that she would never catch him. She turned and fled toward the swimming hole, where she could calm herself before returning to her father’s house.

Andreth ran so swiftly, so heedlessly, that she tripped over her brother Bregor, sending them both to the ground.

“Sister!” he cried, getting up. “Andreth, what troubles thee? Is it the Elf?”

“The Elf, as you say, is our lord, Brother,” Andreth replied bitterly, “here to order our comings and goings as he will. Father may be accounted Lord of Ladros, but what is that to the mighty Hir Aegnor, prince of the Lechenn?”

Bregor scowled. “He hurt thee, then. Rejected thy suit. More fool he. Aegnor the Mighty indeed – Aegnor the Elfling I would say.” He snarled an oath not at all suitable for his sister’s ears and spat on the ground. “I would take thee home at once. Father does not fare well.”

Learning that his eldest daughter had been relentlessly pursuing their Elven lord would not have sat well with Father, Andreth supposed. She sighed. “He hath taken another fit, then?”

Bregor nodded grimly. It had been, perhaps, two years since Lord Boromir had begun having these fits; it began as some device of the Enemy, he doubted it not. A fever which had near enough taken their father from them – he had recovered, but ever after been subject to infrequent spells where his body jerked and twitched like a man possessed of a curse. They tended to come upon him more often of late, ever since Andreth and Aegnor had caught each other’s eyes. “Mother and Beril are bathing him,” he said finally – a remark which made Andreth rather glad she had not gone to the swimming hole. “Come, let us go home.”

Brother and sister went home hand in hand, but when they reached the village, Beril met them at the door. “Mother is helping Father to bed,” she said quietly. “If he does not improve…he may make thee the next Lord soon, brother.”

Andreth paled, looking at Bregor, then back to their younger sister. “Dost thou think Father will…die?”

“Eventually,” Beril muttered, “we all will.” She raised her eyes to Andreth’s. “Please stop chasing after Lord Aegnor,” she implored her sister. “He will not cleave to thee. We all know this.”

“He wants to,” Andreth replied. “But for Father’s sake…and thine, brother,” she added, giving Bregor’s cheek a dutiful kiss, “I will stop.”

She would never give birth to Aegnor’s children – but it was better than burying her father just yet.


Chapter End Notes

In mine and Emma's headcanon, Aegnor and Galadriel (whom he always called by her mother-name in private) are twins.

Fell Fire

Written for the February 2018 "Breaking Boundaries" prompt - a conversation between Aegnor and his twin (in mine and Emma's verse, anyway) Artanis, or Nerwen, who we all know better as Galadriel. 

Galadriel is in Doriath and Aegnor is in Dorthonion, so the conversation is conducted entirely in osanwe-kenta across their twin-bond. 

Read Fell Fire

Aegnor the Elfling, Aegnor fumed. How dare Lord Bregolas refer to him so disrespectfully – ah, but there lies the rub, he told himself. Bregolas had inherited such prejudices from his father Bregor, and it was Bregor's sister Andreth he yet loved - and had spurned all those years ago. She had promised not to continue to pursue him, but after her father's death, she had begged him - and he had forsaken her yet again.

Well, he had had to, Aegnor reasoned with himself. His folk did not take wives and sire children in such times as these. He loved Saelind, the Lady Andreth, with all his heart, and the rejection of her suit was no easier for him! Did she really think it was? So, he returned home to the fortress on the height of Foen, where he dwelt with his brother Angrod.

Angrod, as it happened, was not home. As was his wont, he was out hunting, and Aegnor found himself alone. Well, perhaps not quite alone. As the youngest son of Arafinwë returned to his chambers to take his ease, he sent his mind questing along his twin-bond. Nerwen? Where art thou, sister?

Here, she replied, sounding slightly amused, as always, brother. I am never far from thee, for thou art my other half, is it not so?

Not thy better half, at any rate, Aegnor replied, and heard Nerwen laugh again. Do not laugh at me! Niniel would say it was thy fault I have such a weakness for…for… He trailed off and felt Nerwen probing at the edges of his mind, curiosity aroused.

What troubles thee, Brother? Art thou well, Aicanáro?

Aegnor sighed. Nay, Sister. For I have continued to spurn the Lady Saelind, who hath my heart in her keeping. Now is not the time for us, in such days as these. War marches ever closer.

The Lady Saelind is one of the Aftercomers, Nerwen replied. She will die soon.

And Celeborn is not much better, for all he is at least of Elfkind, Aegnor retorted. Or so Niniel sees it.

What care I for Niniel? Celeborn at least is not only our kind, but our blood, she replied. He is our kinsman through Ammë. It is a perfectly respectable alliance, and I love him – we love each other. Can you not be happy for us, Aicanáro?

I would, if only I might find love with Saelind, Aegnor said. But it can never be so. I care naught for Niniel’s opinion, or even Angaráto’s, but war will doom us all – or will your Celeborn remain safe behind Aunt Melian’s fence?

Who can say? Nerwen sighed. Mayhap when this is over, you will be able to give Lady Saelind the answer she pleases. I only pray you stay alive to do so.

May the Valar hear you, Aegnor replied. I love thee, Nerwen. Whatever befall, I shall always be with thee.

And may the Valar hear you, Brother, came her reply. But if I were you, I would prepare your people to flee.

What meanest thou? Aegnor demanded. Screams of terror snapped him out of his thought-sending, and he felt Nerwen flee his mind. He ran to the window; from the height of the Foen he could see flame and smoke. Aegnor rushed to prepare his warriors. The long siege was over.


Chapter End Notes

And with that, the Dagor Bragollach is upon them. *shivers* Poor Dorthonion elves :( 

Fell Fire Reignited

For B2MEM 2018 Day 3 - a poem. Aegnor remembers his fate in the Battle of Sudden Flame.
Format: double dribble, inverted. 

Read Fell Fire Reignited

Findis was looking at me, disturbed. Was I dead?
I had been dead. I remember the rushing flame – 
Stronger than any of Ulmo’s waves came terror.
I remember my fear. I, Fell Fire!
I fell to the fire. Nerwen!
My twin, my dearest one – 
But no longer, for
Here I lie.
Aicanáro Arafinwion – 
Reborn.


New life
Awaits me here.
“Where are my scars?”
Findis stirs. “What scars, Nephew?”
“I was burned. The fire – Gundor –“
“Who is this Gundor, Aicanáro? You live.”
“Gundor was my friend.” I weep hot tears.
“Tell me of him, Nephew. Tell me of your friend.”
“Gundor was an Atan. He…buried me.” Findis embraces me.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.