A Foretelling of Blood by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For Emma's challenge "Blood".

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A brief conversation between Lord Oropher of Doriath and Aran Thingol's sixteen-year-old adopted human son causes Oropher a few moments of unease. Triple drabble.

Major Characters: Oropher, Saeros, Túrin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 300
Posted on 20 March 2014 Updated on 20 March 2014

This fanwork is complete.

A Foretelling of Blood

In mine and Emma's 'verse, Oropher is the great-grandson of Elmo, brother to Elu Thingol. Our OCs, his father, Celepharn, and grandfather, Gwathion, aren't mentioned in this fic, but Gwathion is the younger brother of Galadhon (Tolkien's canon son for Elmo, and Celeborn's father). So our Oropher is first cousin once removed to Celeborn, and at this time in the First Age (FA 480), almost five hundred years old in our timeline. I've never done anything with Oropher and Túrin before (this is the first time I've written Túrin before at *all* that I can think of), but I think our Oropher would probably spend time with his uncle's human son and look after him, as at this point he has no wife or heirs of his own to worry over.

Read A Foretelling of Blood

“That is not your blood, is it?” Oropher reached out and wiped it from the young Man’s cheek.

Túrin shook his head. “No, my lord,” he said quietly. “Saeros and I had another argument, and we came to blows.”

Oropher grimaced. Saeros was one of the most hot-headed of his uncle’s counsellors, and one of the most vocal about Elu Thingol’s adopted son. He failed to see why Aran Thingol did not simply replace Saeros with someone less…volatile, but that was the King’s prerogative, not his own. “Again?” he questioned gently, trying not to sound like he was patronising the Mortal boy. At sixteen summers, Túrin had dwelt in Menegroth seven years, and was swiftly nearing manhood. He was a more than fair swordsman already, much to Saeros’ displeasure. The two were always crossing swords, now that Túrin was allowed to carry his sword with him.

“Again,” Túrin muttered. “What does it matter that I am a human? I am just as good as any Elf at swordplay, and I will make my father’s House proud of me. I will be a great warrior some day. Nothing Saeros says can stop me from believing that.”

“I believe it,” Oropher agreed. “You will do your family proud, Túrin. We hold your kindred in high honour within this wood, even if Saeros himself does not. He will merely have to learn better manners.” Before Túrin decides to give him lessons, Oropher added silently.

“I hope he will cease to trouble me, my lord. I cannot hold back my anger at these insults forever. Some day, they must be answered,” Túrin said.

Oropher said nothing, but a river of blood seemed to pass before his eyes. He firmly reminded himself that foretelling was not one of his talents! At least, he hoped not.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


An interesting idea, Oropher and Turin!

After all, although Oropher is said to have disliked Noldor, his son, at least, was friendly to Men.

Also, I can easily believe that that final conflict between Saeros and Turin had had a long build-up.

I'm a bit surprised at the idea that it had actually come to blows already--I would have expected Melian to spot it and inform Thingol and Thingol to take action, but maybe not...

Wow, Himring...I can't believe it took me *eleven months* to come back to SWG and see this! Eek...I'm sorry! Please forgive me! <3 While Melian might have spotted it, my Thingol is a bit oblivious sometimes, set in his ways, and not always ready to listen to Melian's counsel. After all, I can't believe she would have countenanced locking their only child in a *tree* (for one thing, I'm sure she would have known it wouldn't stick. haha) Thank you for your much appreciated, though very belatedly answered, review!!

 

Kaylee

I do like the idea of Oropher being the great-grandson of Elmo and first cousin once removed of Celeborn.  I love the idea of linking up some of the characters Tolkien did not have time to complete in a huge series of family trees or something.

Turin is hilarious in his treatment of Saeros.  I love your version of Turin, especially as a child.

Oh thank you Jenni! :) Well, he certainly did a lot of family trees, but none of them seemed to be Elven ones. It seems to me they get rather short shrift that way. LOL.

Turin is hilarious in his treatment of Saeros? Heh, never really thought of that, but thanks! Saeros wins the award for Biggest Canon Jerkface in Doriath in my opinion (when I'm not considering handing it to Thingol, but I think he manages to redeem himself a little now and then. Saeros...nope. Have you *seen* the kind of things he says to Turin in canon? No wonder Turin hates him.) But I'm glad you love child-Turin, anyway. I've never yet written him older than this, but wherever the prompts may lead, hmm? Especially during B2MEM...

Your review (here and at AO3) is very much appreciated! ^_^