Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you! I'm glad you like it. The possible stories are endless, depending on how the author handles it - I mean, you can have the elves reveal it, you can have the dwarves discover it then, you can have the dwarves not discover it, you can have it told after the First Age ends, etc. But I felt like it added to the later betrayal the elves of Doriath must have felt when they realized the Finarfinions hadn't told them about the Kinslaying, because hey, they told the Dwarves, and the Dwarves aren't even their kin. I'm glad it made sense that Celeborn might be the ethical one.

Thank you!

The Elves of Doriath have a reason for believing that the Finarfinions should have told them about the kinslaying. Same for how the Dwarves of Nogrod feel about Thingol and Doriath. :P (The other option is it has no effect ever, and I'd really like to believe that killing almost an entire group would have some effects).

"If something was to happen to them, I would prefer to know the truth instead of pretty lies about their fate. Not speaking of it would only compound the guilt of having killed them, in my view."

Uh-oh...

Very well written account of something that may have gone on behind the scenes, but is never adressed in the book. The parallels between the killing of the petty-dwarves and the Kinslaying make it especially painful.

Wow.  Even with the calculation that they're unlikely to be killed, it's still fairly brave of the elves to walk in unarmed to confess their (sins? mistakes? I don't quite know what word to go with here.) I like that the elves acknowledge that there cannot be a sufficient recompense for what they did, since the dead cannot be brought back. The actions of the elves of Doriath also throws a new light on Thingol's anger at the omission of the Kinslaying from the Finarfinions' tale of how they left Valinor. 

Thank you! It is brave of the elves - after all, if it goes badly, the fact that there are numerous elves in the forest isn't going to make them any less dead.

Thingol's feelings about the Finarfinions (who he greeted as his own family) not telling him about the Kinslaying are definitely affected by the fact that he allowed Celeborn to go in and tell the truth to the Dwarves, who are not his family and who could have easily killed them for telling the truth. He's not very pleased with lies.