Out Over Open Waters by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the Naturalist's Guide to Middle-earth challenge.

The prompts used were: 

Survival on Land and Sea (edible parts of plants), Sea and land snails (sea snail, conch)

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The first of the great seafarers of Numenor is inspired by the tales of Elvish mariners of the First Age.

Update: another chapter / drabble added

Major Characters: Erellont, Vëantur, Voronwë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Naturalist's Guide to Middle-earth

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 199
Posted on 28 September 2020 Updated on 28 November 2020

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

‘You have not met?’ said Voronwe. ‘This is Erellont, who sailed with Earendil, forefather of your king.’

Instinctively, Veantur looked up at the sky.

‘I sailed the seas with him!’ said Erellont, smiling.

They walked along the shoreline together. Erellont spoke of long voyages, of wondrous sights, but also hardships, how they had starved, reduced to eating the pulp of unfamiliar plants.

Voronwe picked up a snail shell, tiny and whorled. His gaze was far away.

‘I heard the conches of Ulmo once,’ he said.

Sighing, Erellont nodded.

‘Will you advise me how to build a seaworthy vessel?’ asked Veantur.


Chapter End Notes

Also incorporates Tolkien Weekly prompts for the Sea Places challenge: shoreline, open water.

Oshun's bio of Veantur is here.

I have written about Erellont before here.

Chapter 2

Read Chapter 2

Erellont and Voronwe did not leave until Veantur had detailed plans for the construction of a shipyard and the expansion of the harbour in the bay of Romenna.

‘Did I not myself receive unstinting help from Cirdan?’ said Voronwe, when Veantur thanked them repeatedly. ‘Greet my kinsman for me when you see him! He will receive you kindly.’

Much work still needed to be done, before Veantur’s first ship could set sail or he could hope to lay eyes on the fabled Cirdan, but in his dreams he already heard the waves beating on the beaches and cliffs of Middle-earth.


Chapter End Notes

This drabble written for Numenor Week on Tumblr, incorporating the rest of the prompts of the Sea Places challenge at Tolkien Weekly: harbour, bay, beach, cliff.

100 words in MS Word.

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you!

I have been wondering whether to write a second drabble to complement this one. I haven't made up my mind.

I think Voronwe's melancholy derives from some of what he says about the Sea in Unfinished Tales.

In the earlier piece about Erellont, I had made her female, following a suggestion by Elleth.

In this drabble, there are no pronouns referring to Erellont that indicate gender.