Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Another brilliant work of insight. I think this piece reflects the dwarves in a very honest and realistic light. Keeping Doriath in mind its very plausible that Mahal would be more than a tad ticked off, not to mention the events that go down in The Hobbit. Yet at the same time, the element of paternal love is partly clouded by the ire commited to his sons' misdeeds. Overall though, a facinating ballad and one worthy to be reread and explored in better understanding the Valar.

I'm still figuring out SWG and I saw this only after three long months, so bear with me, please.

It isn't 'suffering', as it were. The Dwarves are adopted Children of Eru, and, as such, I think, have all too human failings. Tolkien himself said that greed for gold was their downfall, and I wanted to explore that. And also, there is Aule to add to the equation. For all he's a Vala, he's still mortal in one sense, and sees fellow creatures as a part of his world, so the Dwarves, too, are viewed in his eyes. And for Aule, who's the creator of the earth (earth as in lithosphere) and loves every bit of it, the Dwarves' clinical approach to its ingredients is unfathomable. It was meant to be a character study of both the Dwarves and Aule :). Gimli is exceptional, but we don't know what he's like as a Dwarf, as such, around other Dwarves, so I don't know. I think I'll leave that door open, though imagining a greedy Gimli is extremely amusing :p.

.

.

.

Of course, this is all my 'verse and strictly non-canonical and/or quasi-canonical :).