Woman of the Secret Shadow by King Naugladur

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Thuringwethil's thoughts as she prepares to attack Luthien.

Major Characters: Thuringwethil

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 384
Posted on 16 July 2015 Updated on 16 July 2015

This fanwork is complete.

Woman of the Secret Shadow

Read Woman of the Secret Shadow

I was in Angband when Lord Mairon first touched my mind. He said that he was about to capture the half-Maia half-elf spawn of Thingol and Melian. He also told me not to inform Lord Melkor,  to whom he had sent me in order to acquire reinforcements. The connection then broke. I saw and heard naught of him.

When I felt his voice inside my head again, I could tell the battle went bad for him. His words confirmed my fears. He had lost. That abomination, Huan, the bane of our werewolves, had pinned him down and he had been forced to flee from his tower to the Taur-nu-Fuin. For one moment, I could see him in the vampiric form he had taken. Blood was dripping from an ugly wound on his throat. I asked him telepathetically if he wanted me to his side, to tend his wound and offer him comfort. He ordered me to venture back to Tol-in-Gaurhoth and raise Lord Melkor’s standard at the top of the tower. His plan was to reoccupy the tower and then fabricate an excuse for his defeat.

It was difficult for me to steal away from Angband unnoticed, so I decided to wait until nightfall. At dinner, Lord Melkor was constantly trying to read my thoughts, but I evaded him. He also informed me that no reinforcements were  to be sent to Lord Mairon. There were more significant duties for our troops, he said.

I eloped from the fortress after midnight, taking my bat form which enables me to fly.  Some silly Orcs mistook me for an Eagle and flew arrows against me, but they did me no harm.

After an exhausting flight, I finally reached the island. The tower had been razed to the ground, but the place was empty. As soon as I was prepared to report to Lord Mairon, I heard a noise.

It’s her, Luthien. I can see her  now, standing at the bridge. What does she want here? Where is her Mannish friend? I don’t need to know, however. Good thing that my fangs are sharp.


Chapter End Notes

Mairon= Sauron

Melkor= Morgoth


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thanks for the review, Huinare. From my first reading of "The Silmarillion", I always thought that Thuringwethil was loyal to Sauron, since a subordinate has to be loyal in order to be entrusted as a messenger. And, since I see Sauron as somewhat of a narcissist, I assumed that we would make an attempt to reverse the situation in his favor. Again, thanks for reviewing!

King Naugladur.