Alqualondë by Moreth

| | |

Chapter 1

My first attempt at posting - so I'm pushing these onto the archive with a pointy stick... Thanks to Rhapsody and Oshun for discussion and review in LJ, and many thanks to Pandemonium for beta-reading and encouraging me to post!


Confusion and shouting. Noise and fire. Father yelling. "Follow... and bring your bow!" With no bow to hand, I snatch up my hunting knife, and run out into the chaos and the dark.

The figure before me pads swiftly forward, and I throw out my hand, crying out, hoping to stop him. Everything feels wrong. Who is this Golodo in strange clothing, carrying weapons?

Then pain as my hand is knocked sideways. Something hits my chest. Hard. It hurts beyond bearing.

Someone screaming. Is it my voice? I can't breathe.

I'm cold. So very cold.

Nana, the stars are fading...

 

 ~~~

 

It seems we've practised forever and it makes everything so easy. Foot forward. Twist his knife sideways. Strike now.

He stares at me in shock before he starts screaming. Bending double. Hands pressed against his chest. Trying to stop the blood. Trying to breathe. Trying not to die.

But I have learnt my lessons well. That one can be ignored. Look for the next danger. Choose your target. Foot forward...

And it's only afterwards that it's not easy. When we look at what remains. When we see what we did. And then, oh no... then it's not easy at all.

 


Chapter End Notes

'Golodoi' should be Telerin for 'Noldor' according to here .
'Nana' - I'm assuming 'Mummy/Mommy/Mama' is similar to Sindarin.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment