Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Such a beautiful and heartbreaking poem. I can almost hear Pharazon saying it in his grief. I always wondered what went through his mind when he discovered what had become of Numenor or if he ever found out. I like the version of him and Zimraphel in PoME.  It makes more sense. Noliel did a wonderful job on the illustration too. Zimraphel's horror and grief is captured with a great amount of accuracy. There is even beauty in her expression too.

Thank you! :) You're right that I was going more with what sounded right in my head rather than going for a fixed meter. Honestly, I usually only use a traditional meter when working on a project for the medieval re-creation group I play with! Perhaps one day I'll gird my loins and tackle making this one pure iambic or pure trochaic. ;) Thanks again for reading and commenting!

This is the first poem of yours I've read I think!  (Not that I know how many you've written.)

 

The last two stanzas affected me emotionally (I actually thought of Rogue One while I was reading them).  I think you effectively illustrated how small we all are but  also how we each can leave our mark on the world.

 

I think I don't read poetry enough - this was lovely and I enjoyed it very much.  :)