Middle-earth Olympics Opening Ceremony on Sunday, July 18

Middle-earth Olympics challenge banner with Olympic rings

The Middle-earth Olympics are coming!

While we will post prompts on the 15th as usual, we will officially kick off our challenge this month with an opening ceremony, held on the SWG's Discord server. In keeping with the Olympic spirit, we will host a live reading on the theme of cultural harmony.

The opening ceremonies will be held on Sunday, July 18, at 15:00/3:00 PM UTC. Find the opening ceremony date and time in your own timezone.

How to Sign Up for the Reading

  • Anyone is welcome to read. You do not need to be an SWG member, though you will need to join our Discord server for the duration of the event.
  • You can read an excerpt from Tolkien or a fanwork you wrote. The reading should relate to the theme of cultural harmony.
  • If you read a fanwork, you must be the author.
  • Please limit your reading to five minutes.
  • If you know you plan to attend and read and would like to be on the event program, you can sign up for the opening ceremony reading here. There will be an open mic time open to anyone who wants to read, whether they signed up or not.

If you just want to listen to the reading, you are very welcome as well!

How to Join the SWG Discord

You can join the SWG Discord here.

Opening Ceremony Reading Program

Opening Remarks and Introductions of the Teams
In Praise of the Feastat Ivrin by Himring
Excerpt from Song of the Stone by Dawn Felagund
Open Mic! Anyone who wants to read is welcome to do so!
Closing Remarks


Posted on 11 July 2021 (updated 18 July 2021) by Dawn Felagund