Of Peredhil and Seagulls by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Of Peredhil and Seagulls

For "Badminton", the birds of Arda prompt.


"Elwing?"

"Hmm?" The girl leaned on the sea-wall, turning to look at Eärendil. "What are you doing?"

"I am watching the seagulls," Elwing replied patiently, as though it were obvious. "What are you doing?"

"Waiting for the fishing boats to come in. I suppose the presence of the gulls means they shall be here shortly."

Elwing nodded. She smiled faintly as a seagull came to land by her. "Hello, little friend. How do you fare?" she asked the bird courteously.

The seagull tilted its head at her. "Mine?" it squawked.

Elwing laughed. "You are silly."

"Some of the ellyn say you are silly, Elwing, talking to birds as if they could understand you," Eärendil ventured.

She spun about, hands on her hips. "Oh do they now, Eärendil. What do you say?"

He scoffed, shaking his blond hair out of his face. "That they are silly, of course. Talking to birds is fine with me. Does not Lord Manwe receive intelligence that way? Perhaps they will speak back to you eventually." He gave her a grin. "Besides, you are still the best girl I have ever met, Elwing."

"Perhaps," Elwing said, cheered by the thought, and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you, Eärendil."


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment