Galadhon Once More by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Galadhon Once More

For Handball.


Early Second Age, Greenwood

"...whoso in hand taketh, finding keepeth or afar casteth a Silmaril…" Elder Rethedir of Greenwood started from his lapse into memory, the words searing his consciousness as his hands gripped the balcony railing. He stared out over the wood, thinking. Words he had heard first - no, read first, for the messenger who brought them refused to speak them aloud, finding them too damning. Yes, they had been damning. They had set a course for his cousin's children that flung them far from the land of their birthing, back into the hands of distant kin, following in the tracks of thrice-damned mad kinfolk in order to...

Well. He rubbed his forehead with his knuckles. Damn that Oath and damn Feanor, he thought. And Uncle Elu, too, him and his arrogance and pride. Damn him for a fool, it was a fool's errand he'd sent beloved Cousin Luthien's mortal lover on, He'd done his best to protect his children, his young cousins, all who aided Luthien in escaping. And what had Elu done? Banished him. Rethedir of Greenwood, he had once been Lord Galadhon of Doriath. He had taken the hand he was dealt, going east, exchanging the stewardship of one great wood for another.

"Elder Rethedir?"

Galadhon - Rethedir, now - turned from his musings to regard his colleague's young apprentice.

"Yes, child?"

"They've summoned the Elders to the...the palace."

Wonderful. "Very well. For what purpose, do you know?"

"Lord Celeborn of the Sindar has come, with greetings from Ereinion Gil-galad."

Rethedir's blood chilled. I cannot avoid this. "Thank you."

The apprentice departed, and Rethedir let out a breath. The ball was in his court, as it were. He could avoid this, truth to tell, but...No. That would leave Elrain to deal with Celeborn, and that, Rethedir would not do. He went to find his formal robes. Best he looked the part.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment