Messing with the wrong minstrel by Aprilertuile

| | |

chapter


Makalaurë was fuming when he entered his father's home, slamming the door behind him.

Good thing that their parents were busy in their respective craft-room or he'd be in trouble for that.

That however, attracted Tyelkormo and Curufinwë :

"I thought you were going to meet your fellow musicians at the market? What happened to bring you back that soon in that sort of mood? Tyelkormo asked with surprise.

-That utter brain-dead leech for a noble... Ugh! May she lose all her hair overnight! Makalaurë spat furiously in answer, grabbing a pot of strawberry jam from the kitchen counter.

-That... Actually, doesn't answer much. Do we need to tell Nelyo or dad that a noble is being an annoyance? Curufinwë asked, practical.

-Oh no. She's getting her due in short notice, just as soon as I can get that new song going. She tried to annoy the wrong minstrel.

-Ok, who is "she", and what did she do?"

Makalaurë took the time to eat a spoonful of jam, making Curufinwë grimace in disgust, before he answered:

"She is the daughter of queen Indis' second lady in waiting. Anyway, that little upstart for a lady found my friends and I in the market square, you know how we are, musicians out for fun, we had our instruments, and so we were playing and having fun in the square.

-Seems pretty usual yes."

That was one of the reasons why Tyelkormo refused any and all invitations to join his brother's outings with his musician friends. They all ended up with them making music or coming up with song or playing dares in the music field and Tyelkormo was *not* interested.

"And so, that girl that should be forbidden in public decided that we poor musicians needed her help, and so she came, and asked us to play "for free", at that event she's organizing with "her friends", so that we'd get "recognition and contacts that could help us". Of course, we'd need to bring our own snacks and drinks because it's not in her household's policy to provide for servants you know."

That had Curufinwë's face turn cold.

"She dared...

-I had to inform her that I was the second son of our father, and officially as of 10 years ago court musician, and doing regular performance in Tirion, and that if I wanted to perform for free to advertise myself, all I'd need to do would be to tell mother and she'd invite me to perform when she does a statues presentation or something and that I'd still be provided with at the very least water and a meal. And that all my friends and fellow artists of Tirion had the same arrangement with our family and had in fact, in the past, used it, and all knew they'd be treated far better than what was offered.

-Good.

-Ilvanya, Valar I love that girl, told her that we were going to warn the music school and all our artist contacts that she and her households were dealing in abusive demands for their servants and to beware of any proposition not concluded with a written contract with proper terms established. We all separated to do just that, and I'm supposed to write a song that'll be going all over to warn people off of that supremely egotistic little pest of a noble.

-That's a good idea. I know for a fact she tried that too with one of my apprentices, to get statues for free. Write your song and you're invited to sing it at the next gathering of crafters. I'll also warn your father and uncles that one of the ladies of the court is going around trying to abuse the trust of the population. Their mother said from the doorway.

-I... Alright. When's the next gathering?

-In two days."

Makalaurë yelped at that, slammed the jam pot close and hurried out of the door:

"But if you slam the door again you'll be on stable duty for a WEEK!" His mother called after him.

After Makalaurë's hurried departure from the room, Tyelkormo looked at Curufinwë who nodded at him in answer.

Yes, that noble lady was going to get troubles in all possible forms. And if she even so much as approached Carnistir to get free embroidered clothing, she could kiss her noble titles goodbye if that was the last thing they did.

"Boys, whatever you're planning you'll wait until Makalaurë and your father are done.

-We're not planning anything mother. Curufinwë answered calmly.

-The last time I saw you looking that determined, your eldest brother had work for weeks trying to settle the scandal that you created at your grand-father's court. You will wait for your father and sibling before doing anything.

-Yes mother."

She looked at them a moment in silence, as if judging their truthfulness, and then nodded, satisfied, and left the room, going to speak to her husband.

That evening, Fëanàro went to find Makalaurë in his music room, and they stayed locked there together for a while.

This was the one time any of the brothers regretted the fantastic work their father did to isolate that room.

They took the meal together, only Makalaurë missing.

"So, Nelyo, did you hear the last... news from the court?

-The news that's making mother look ready to slap someone at the single mention of the court and is making you suddenly very tolerant of staying in Laurë's music room for an extended period of time you mean?

-Yes.

-I haven't heard anything yet, no.

-Uh. Are you familiar with Indis’ ladies in waiting and their daughters?

-Only one of them has a daughter.

-You know her?

-Hm... Blond hair, always wearing dresses of gold, with an ego the size of the palace and the firm belief I'm only waiting to ask her to marry me because I'm shy? Yes, I'm sadly acquainted with that disaster of a woman. Why?

-... She dares...

-Why father?

-Because she approached your brother asking him to play for him for free, as he's an artist and surely in need of recognition right? No matter that he's my son and so a prince and of higher rank than her, or that he is a court minstrel to start with, and well known in the city of Tirion and has been invited in Alqualondë for his musical talents. And because she apparently approached one of your mother's apprentices with an offer to make a statue for her for free, in exchange for recognition, because of course your mother knows not how to ensure her students' work get viewed by the relevant people, and as a new artist, the poor girl must be desperate to get some recognition.

-Oh and because she tried to get a few other embroiderers in the city, with the demand that they make her a dress for minimal wages because "she's a lady of the court and they'll never get better advertisement of their work than that so they should be grateful of her instead of making her pay".

-So, because she's an all-around disaster and no less than insulted far too many people in our family or at our service. Fine. What are you planning?" Sighed Nelyo tired in advance.

Court life would be so much easier if people could stop insulting his family.

"Your brother is writing a new song that'll get the recognition necessary at the crafter gathering in a few days. I will go and talk to your grand-father, and I trust you my dear to tell that girl exactly what you think of her next time she tries to encourage you to invite her. Also, perhaps to mitigate the scandal it'll bring at the court. You know not everyone likes our family."

Maitimo looked like he was considering taking a few years’ worth of holidays in Formenos, but sighed.

"I want to hear the song first. Telling her off and warning others to be wary of her, is one thing, but if it's downright insulting, the court will take rightful offence and I won’t be able to mitigate that."

Fëanàro snorted but nodded.

"See with your brother when he's done. I'm going to the court tomorrow morning to have a little explanation with my father.

-Hm... You're sure you don't want me to do that?

-Why would I want you to do that?

-Because uncle Finarfin and uncle Fingolfin will be at court tomorrow as it's their day of the week to deal with the grievances sent to the palace.

-... I'll write you a letter."

Maitimo looked amused at that and nodded. 

Afterward, the meal was spent mostly in silence, until Fëanàro retired to his office.

 

It was the middle of the night, when Maitimo's room opened, and a weight fell on the bed next to him, waking him up.

"What the... Kàno!

-Music done, 'tar said to bring it t'you. Night."

Makalaurë seemed to fall straight asleep right there, and Maitimo sighed. Artist siblings were a pain.

Come to think of this, crafter siblings and hunter siblings were also a pain. Perhaps it was just a sibling thing in general.

He picked up the ink spotted parchment from the bed, and read it.

The melody was somewhat familiar... Did Makalaurë write a parody of one of his own songs for that?

"This is the story of a not helpless

Minstrel playing in the market square

With his friends singing, ballads, lays and carols,

For all their enjoyment, and passer-by’s applause

Suddenly a lady of noble bearing

Golden silk wearing, and jewels aplenty

Decided to abuse her authority,

She came and told him to play for her for free

 

No contract, no money, but false notoriety,

Not even providing basic necessities

So sorry, no lady, you're not getting it,

For never will I play for you for free

I'm fully recognized, I'm a known minstrel.

I play for work, and I play for games.

An artist I may be, but not that desperate,

My patience you abused, my friends you would exploit.

 

So I am not sorry, Gold lady of the court,

Noble born you may be, my music is not yours,

By this song I'm warning of your lack of honor,

So never you will get minstrels for free playing

 

You're, lady, too abject, for us to not object..."

 

Maitimo rose to his feet and went to his desk with a yawn, picking up a red ink pot and wrote in the margin of the page:

"Ditch the last line when you sing and it'll be perfect. Add it and we'll have trouble with the court and we're not over last scandal yet."

 

By morning it's an amused Fëanàro that came to wake up Maitimo, well Maitimo and Makalaurë, and right after breakfast, the red-head was gone, with a message for the king, and a tale of his own.


Chapter End Notes

Thank you for reading... 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment