Unsummoned and unlooked for by chrissystriped

| | |

Unsummoned and unlooked for


Rog walked up and down the room, waiting to be admitted to the king’s office. He knew Turgon had many things to take care of and it was probably with no ill intent that he let him wait, but right now it felt that way.

Finally the door opened and he was let in. Turgon looked tired, sitting behind his dark, wooden desk covered in paper.

“When did you intend to tell us?”, Rog asked without preamble. He could see in Turgon’s face that he knew exactly what he was talking about.

The king sighed. “How did you find out?”

“You are not the only one who’s talking to birds”, Rog gritted out. “Duilin heard it from a swallow who’d heard Thorondor bringing you the news. Not that it matters. You should have told us the moment you found out! Do you really intend to continue hiding behind your mountains while your brother and cousins fight a war?”

Rog braced his arms on the desk, leaning over it, Turgon’s sitting position allowing him to tower over his king for once.

“That’s not what I signed up for and you know it!”

Turgon’s face had become impassive, but Rog could see the fine sheen of sweat breaking out on his neck.

“I remember you looking for a place where your people are save”, he answered, only the slightest tremble in his voice showing that Rog’s behaviour frightened him.

“Yes”, Rog hissed. “I wanted my people to be save. For myself I wanted an opportunity to fight. I thought, I’d be able to do more damage to Morgoth at your side than alone. You know I was not happy when I found myself in here.” Another prison, albeit one where he could see the sky — and yes, his people were save and happy and that had soothed his own discontent a little, but not anymore. “If you can’t bring yourself to fight with your brother, I will go — and I’m sure I won’t go alone.”

“You can’t go!” Turgon pushed his chair back and stood up, changing the height difference to his favour. “It’s against the law.”

Rog huffed and straightened, showing his teeth. “You think you can hold me? I’d like to see you try. Do you think, I’m the only one of your lords who’s wondering, why you kept news of the alliance to yourself?”

Turgon’s eyes flashed dangerously. “Is this a rebellion against my rule?”, he asked. “Do you want to tell me, you don’t heed your king’s command any longer.”

Rog took a deep breath.

“You are my friend, Turgon. You trusted me, when people you knew better tried to tell you I was untrustworthy. I do not want to break with you, but yes, if you force me to, I will. I am not a Noldo, my ideas of rule and fealty are different from yours, don’t forget that. I’m playing by your rules because I like you. I allowed you to take away my chance to fight before, but my patience has run out. I will fight. Alone, if I must, but I’d rather do it at your side.”

Rog held Turgon’s gaze, willing him to understand. Turgon sighed deeply and sat, waving for him to do so too. Rog obeyed warily.

“Do you think, it is easy for me to contemplate abandoning my brother — my High King? I was not there, when Ard-galen burned. I was not there when my father decided everything was lost and he’d rather challenge Morgoth in single combat than do nothing! But Ulmo told me to stay hidden until his messenger arrives and secrecy is our only chance at survival.”

“You do not think this alliance has a chance”, Rog stated.

“No.” Turgon shook his head. “We are cursed. Everything the Noldor start will turn to evil.”

“Nonetheless.” Rog set his shoulders. “I will not hide, I will not cower before the ones who tried so hard to break me. And if this means my death, I will take as many of his creatures with me as possible — they won’t forget my name. And they won’t forget yours either, if you decide to go out and fight.”

Turgon remained silent for a long time, Rog could see he was contemplating it and waited patiently.

“Call the Lords together”, Turgon finally said. “And I will tell them what news Thorondor brought me. And if they decide to fight, we will come to my brother’s aid.”

Rog smiled as he stood up and bowed to his king. “Immediately, my king.”


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment