Warmth by chrissystriped

| | |

Warmth


Mablung was shivering. The winters in Aman weren’t as harsh as in Middle-earth, but here in Alqualonde there was a cold wind blowing from the sea. No one but him seemed to care, they were used to it, he supposed. And he was particularly sensitive to the cold since the crossing of the Helcaraxe.

Mablung wrapped his cloak, the warmest he possessed, around himself. He’d tried to find warmer clothes, but there was a dreadful lack of them in the shops. He’d had some warm clothes when he’d lived in the Greenwood, but he’d never managed to get something again after his extended visit to the south where he hadn’t had any need of it. He missed the dry heat of the dessert. He missed Melkor’s warm body against his even more.

“You look frozen”, someone said to him and Mablung turned around to see Sharû closing up. He smiled at the orc with trembling lips.

“Hello, Sharû.”

“Good afternoon, Mablung. Can I invite you to a cup of tea?”, the orc said hesitantly.

“I have to get these letters to the post office”, Mablung answered. An errand for Díriel. “But if you have time to accompany me, I’d gladly drink a cup with you afterwards.”

“I have time.” Sharû fell in step beside him.

Mablunq quickly dispatched the letter and they made their way to a little tea house

“How are you doing?”, Sharû asked when they’d sat down, a cup of steaming tea and a slice of cake before each of them.

“Oh, I’m quite well — apart from the cold.” Mablung sipped carefully at the tea and sighed as it warmed him from inside. “I like it here, always did, and many of my friends are here.” He expected Sharû to remark on how friends shouldn’t ask him to pay them back for his deeds, but then he remembered who he was talking to. Orcs were less gentle minded than elves. “How about you?”

“It’s paradise.” Sharû smiled wryly. “I never expected to ever see it, let alone be allowed to live here, be accepted by elves. Oh, they were worried at first but they got used to us. We get along very well with the Solosimpi.”

“I’m glad of that. You deserve it, you and your people.”

“I’m never sure, if we truly deserve it”, Sharû said with a wry smile. “But I’m glad you and others think that way. Can I… ask you something?”

“Of course. What is it?”

Mablung cocked his head, the orc looked nervous.

“Some of us are… worried about… Your lover, will he stake a claim on us?”

“No.” Mablung sighed. “I can’t blame you for thinking that, for still remembering him as he was, but he changed. He won’t expect you to serve him again, much less force you.”

“You are certain, he changed? I find that so hard to believe. I’m sorry.”

“I know it”, Mablung answered with all the conviction he had. “Don’t be sorry, you only knew him at his worst, he was not a kind king to you, I understand that. But he no longer wishes to rule or to do dominate others. I know it. He will not try to dominate your people.”

Mablung wasn’t sure if he’d convinced Sharû, but the orc changed the topic to the weather, which he told him would soon turn warmer again.

“They don’t have a proper winter here”, Sharû said. “It’s almost never cold enough for snow. This is about as cold as it gets.”

“That’s a relief. I don’t remember it being even as cold as it is from before.”

“They say the weather got slightly more unpredictable since the Trees died. You know…” Sharû eyed him. “If you aren’t afraid of coming to the Island with me, I could organise you something warmer to wear.” He pointed at the sweater he was wearing. “A friend of mine is knitting marvellously warm and comfortable sweaters. We had to learn that elves don’t do warm clothes, so we have to make them ourselves. I’m sure he’ll have something that’ll fit you.”

Mablung looked at the garment, it really looked wonderfully warm.

“I’d love one. And no, I’m not afraid of sailing to the Island with you.”

Mablung grinned at him. Sharû had felt so intimidating to him, when they’d met in Angband, but now that wasn’t the case anymore. The orc was so careful not to scare him, Mablung didn’t feel any different around him than he would have around an elf. Sharû smiled back.

“Let’s go, then.”

 

They made the crossing on the boat of one of Sharû’s men, who’d been at the market to sell his wares. Mablung huddled deeper into his cloak when the wind that filled the sail cut through his clothes.

Sharû led him through the little village that they’d made for themselves and knocked on a door.

“Dauro, I have a customer for you. He’s a bit cold.”

“I thought elves don’t get cold”, Dauro said with a wink at Mablung.

“I do.” Mablung shrugged. “I’d love some warm clothes. The Teleri are terribly understocked.”

“Well.” Dauro looke him up and down. “You are just about short enough that I have something that fits you, though it might be a little wide.”

Usually Mablung didn’t care at all for being reminded that most elves in Aman towered over him, but for this time he would count it as an advantage.

“Wonderful”, he said and pulled the brown sweater the orc gave him over his shirt — it was indeed more than wide enough. It had a pattern in green and white at neck and cuffs and he thought it rather pretty — something he still had to get used to seeing from orcs. “How much do I owe you?”

“It’s a gift from me”, Sharû said quickly. “If you allow.”

Mablung might have protested, but he saw in the tenseness in Sharû’s shoulders that it was important to him to do this for him. Mablung guessed it was about feeling guilty and trying to recompense. If the orc would feel lighter at heart for making him this gift, Mablung would not argue.

“Thank you”, he said simply. “I have to get back now, it’s late and Díriel is going to wonder where I vanished to, but I hope we’ll see each other again, soon.”

Sharû nodded. “I’m more often in Tirion than here these days, but I guess I can make it down to Alqualonde, if you really want to see me?”

“That would be nice.” Mablung smiled at him. “I’d like us to be friends.”

Sharû smiled back shyly. “I’d be happy if we could be.”

There was still a cold wind blowing as Mablung was brought back to the mainland, but he felt already warmer in his new sweater.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment