Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Great to see your Angarato again! And I'll be interested to see how Eldalote goes on. At the moment, she seems set up like the kind of wife who might stay behind in Aman, despite her love for her husband, but she didn't, did she? I look forward to your posting the next chapters.

Congratulations on your impressive success with the SoWD project!

Glad to know you enjoyed seeing him again! I feel like I have developed a much stronger grasp on who he is over the course of writing this piece, so I'm excited to introduce him to the SWG.

Since the piece itself is a collection of one-shots/short fics that focus on representative moments in the lives of the characters, I never get to fully explore the romance between the couples, which is something I've found myself wanting to do more and more as I consider the series as a whole (Angarato and Eldalote, in particular, have a fascinating relationship, and Orodreth's wife is fascinating in her own right). I expect I'll end up doing a separate piece that is more involved with their lives as husbands and wives.

Thanks for the congratulations! =) I'm really pleased to have gotten everything done that I said I was going to get done-- it proves that I can actually set a deadline for myself and stick to it. Also, it's nice to be posting fanfiction again, since I believe the last time I did was when Fly Away was updated summer of 2010...

*sheepish sheep* Yyyyeah. Considering the story is complete except for last minute revisions... *the delay has no excuse*

(I wouldn't have either, obviously, except that it's been so long that I had to go look at how I was formatting chapters here versus on FanFiction. Lo and behold, "Vanyarin" leaped out at me. [And then verily did I say, "Whut?"])

Thanks for stopping by. =)

I guess Angrod would strongly resent that edict of Thingol's on more than one count--both because all the Noldor were being lumped in with kinslayers and, as a linguist, because it was a ban on language.

And, of course, it is really rather weird for Thingol to go all nationalist about Sindarin, which he cannot originally have spoken himself! (Although I guess he might claim that it is only the Noldorin form of Quenya he is banning?)

Angrod does, indeed, resent the Ban on several different levels. He gets to articulate himself more in the next chapter, but you've essentially got it in one. Since he's always been a linguist in my head, I've always known he would not take kindly to Thingol's Ban, even more so because it was declared based on his actions.

=) I love that you use the word nationalist. It tickles my International Studies heart.

Ahem, academia aside, the way I understand it is there was a Primitive Quenya that the Quendi all spoke before the Valar found them. This is fractured every time various groups of Quendi decide to leave the Great Journey. When the Vanyar, Noldor and Teleri are finally sundered from the people who become the Sindar, they all still speak this Primitive Quenya, with possibly some cultural flavor starting to get mixed in. Once the groups are separated by the Sundering Sea, Primitive Quenya in Beleriand becomes Sindarin, while in Aman it becomes Quenya, with further differences arising in various dialects. Since Tolkien tells us the Sindar had trouble learning Quenya, I tend to think that the language the Exiles bring with them to Beleriand is so changed from Primitive Quenya as to be unrecognizable.

Thanks for your review! ^^ Sorry to go all... I don't even know what to call it, but sorry for going all [fill in word here] on you. =)

I did say that. Fingon still isn't my favorite character, but I try to do him justice. (If pressed, I might admit that he's been growing on me.) As for whether there's a touch of arachnophobia here... I'll leave that up to reader interpretation. =)

Thanks once again for your kind words!

Thank you so much for your kind words and well-wishes! I'm in the process of digging out all my old story notes, so hopefully I'll be back for a while.

I'm glad to know that Finduilas' little pseudo-cameo worked well for you! It's probably one of my favorite aspects of this scene, and an idea I'd like to play with more in the future.

Thank you very much! I'm glad you found Barahir's perspective successful. While I knew that was how I wanted to go with this chapter, I do remember that I was nervous about how it be received, since it is one of the few times Angrod or Orodreth isn't narrating in this story. (I think Curufin and Maedhros are the only other two who narrate, off the top of my head). And of course Barahir is the only mortal to narrate.

thanks again for your review!

As far as I'm aware of, Eldalote's background is never given. However, an argument can be (and often is) made that she was Noldorin. Peoples of Middle-earth, which gives us Eldalote's name and her relation to Angrod and Orodreth, also gives us a Sindarin version of her name. I've seen the assumption made that that means she must have gone to Beleriand. Based on Finrod's lost love, who was "of the Vanyar, and ... went not with him into exile," (and other claims throughout the Silmarillion and legendarium that no Vanya ever returned to Middle-earth,) the reasoning goes that if Eldalote has a Sindarin name she returned to Middle-earth, and therefore cannot be a Vanya. Or, maybe more accurately, is most likely a Noldo.

Of course, it doesn't necessarily follow that a Sindarin name means she went to Beleriand-- after all, Finarfin turned back to Tirion, but still had a Sindarin name devised for him. And that's what I envision for Eldalote as well.

Thanks very much for the review!