what was lost on the ice by skywardstruck

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Thank you for eilinelsghost for the beta!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

If I sing now, will you answer me?

Once childhood friends, now king and captain, Finrod and Edrahil mourn for what they lost in each other on the Helcaraxë.

Major Characters: Edrahil, Finrod Felagund

Major Relationships: Finrod/Edrahil

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Romance, Slash

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 437
Posted on 10 May 2023 Updated on 12 May 2023

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Finrod

Read Finrod

Edrahil.

Those peaceful days in Valinor, when you understood me, and I understood you. A long time ago, when we were still so young, and I knew nothing of kings or princes, lords or vassals, we played on the shores of Alqualondë. I sang to you, and you answered. You braided my golden hair. I crowned you with a necklace, a pendant I carved by hand, and you promised to never leave my side. Even as we grew older, and I learned of responsibility, things beyond the bliss of youth, beyond simple friendship and love— you were still there, always with a kind word, a gentle smile. Even during the Darkening, the Trees reduced to memory, you held my hand, and we repeated our vows once more.

Then came the Helcaraxë. Aman had nothing for us anymore; you had hope in your eyes too, when we looked east. It was only natural, when I set out, that I would take my greatest treasures with me, my dearest friend included. For nothing could break our promise. Not even the ice, as it cracked below your feet and gave way, threatened to pull you under, with nothing to hold onto.

Nothing but my hand.

Don’t let go, I pleaded. And even when it was hardest, you still held on. I dove into the water after you, carried you over my shoulders, bringing you back to land even when so many others begged for me to move on, to save myself. But your happiness, your life mattered most, for I am not complete without you.

That day, I knew I was meant to live on, to sacrifice for those I love. And that is why, I can never bring myself to regret having made the perilous journey here. But once we arrived in Middle-earth, something changed.

You swore fealty to me, in exchange for me saving your life. Now I was “lord,” and you were my “knight.”

And ever since then, there has been a fog between us. Your heart has closed to me. I reach out my hand to touch your cheek and you kiss it in reverence. I ask you to tea and I hear little but carefully-crafted phrases. We go for a walk, and we can only bask in silence.

I call you meldanya, and you turn away.

Those days in Valinor... do you ever wish you could have them back, Edrahil? If I sing now, will you answer me? Will that day ever come again, when I can be your Findaráto?

When I can finally tell you... how much I love you?


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

skywardstruck has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Characterization, Mood/Tone. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.