The In-universe Authorship of LACE by Independence1776

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The in-universe authorship of LACE makes the document inherently unreliable.

Major Characters: Eriol

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Nonfiction/Meta

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 890
Posted on 20 July 2013 Updated on 20 July 2013

This fanwork is complete.

The In-universe Authorship of LACE

Many thanks to Oshun for the beta! In an interesting coincidence, Adenydd is posting a series of essays also dealing with LACE.

Read The In-universe Authorship of LACE

The in-universe writer of “Laws and Customs Among the Eldar” is Aelfwine, a mortal man from medieval England.

Aelfwine (first--and later interchangeably-- called Eriol and occasionally Ereol) visited Tol Eressëa for a time and then returned to England. There are multiple versions of his rather complex story, starting with him as the frame story in The Book of Lost Tales as a mariner from sixth century Heligoland, and later as a tenth century English mariner. [1, 2] His original role was that of a listener to and recorder of Elvish tales, later a reader and translator of them, and finally a reversion back to a listener, recorder, and possibly reader. [3, 4, 5, 6, 7]

However, as the legendarium grew, Aelfwine's part in it faded, and his role was taken over by Bilbo in the second edition of The Lord of the Rings in 1966. [8] LACE was written in the late 1950s. [9]

As for proof Aelfwine wrote LACE (apart from Christopher Tolkien's editorial comments in its introduction), it starts off with “Aelfwine's Preamble” and the “Of Re-birth” section ends with “So spoke Aelfwine.” [10]

So what does this mean for LACE in-universe?

Quite simply, the document becomes unreliable.

Here's why:

1. Aelfwine had biases, positive and negative. (Everyone does; it's not a condemnation.) What were they? How did they affect his viewpoint and how he perceived the world? How did they affect what he wrote? Did he deliberately leave things out or obscure them? Did he deliberately expand or make things up to better fit his beliefs? Given his time and location, he is mostly likely Christian, and in one version of his tale that is made explicit [11]. How did he have to juggle his religious beliefs with what he learned? In general, I think it likely he ignored, brushed aside, or did not record things that disagreed with his biases.

2. He may have misunderstood things. It's a new culture, with new people and language(s) he had to learn. No one in that circumstance could understand everything perfectly, no matter how many questions one asked.

Furthermore, which Elves did he talk to and how did that affect what he learned? They were most likely the Exilic Noldor, but also the non-Exilic Noldor, the Teleri, the Vanyar, and the Sindar. Which subcultures of these groups did he talk to? What did he hear secondhand about other groups? What information did he generalize out from one group to the Eldar as a whole? For example, the Exilic Noldor could have become more conservative when they returned to Tol Eressëa, in reaction against the rebellion that caused so much death and destruction. Some of the same group may have refused to do so, thus causing a subcultural split. Plus, six hundred years between the Darkening and return is enough time for different cultural standards to have arisen between the Valinoran and Exilic Noldor, and thousands of years living apart in Valinor and Tol Eressëa could have driven more.

3. He may have been lied to. Why? The Elves could have been protecting themselves. They could have been trying to prevent Aelfwine from encountering something that would harm his mind/mental state/worldview. They could have deliberately fed into his biases for the above reasons. They could have wanted to keep secrets or felt there are some things a mortal need not know or would not understand.

4. He was the sole mortal to visit and leave the Undying Lands. [12] Would that privilege compel, convince, or push him to glorify and/or sanitize his Elvish hosts upon his return to England? I think it possible, especially if he was trying to convince others the Elves were good people.

5. How does his out-universe erasure affect what he wrote in-universe? Does his in-universe replacement affect what he wrote in-universe? Basically: if the person who wrote the document no longer exists, does the document itself? If not, does it even matter anymore? The logical answer is no.

(The above answers are some of the possibilities, not the only ones.)

*

Aside from the above reasons for its unreliability, LACE says in the first section, “There are indeed some differences between the natural inclinations of neri [men] and nissi [women], and other differences that have been established by custom (varying in place and time, and in the several races of the Eldar).” [13]

In other words: the customs and laws of the Elves living on Tol Eressëa when Aelfwine visited in the tenth century AD are not the customs of pre- or post- Darkening Valinor, Beleriand (either Exilic or Sindarin), Rivendell, Mirkwood, Lothlórien, etc. (For point of reference, JRR Tolkien says that the gap between LotR and “now” is about six thousand years. [14]) Furthermore, the document does not concern the Avari at all.

Let me emphasize that: LACE itself says it is not the be-all and end-all of Eldarin customs and laws.

To summarize:

A medieval Man-- not an Elf-- wrote “Laws and Customs Among the Eldar.” As such, the document is inherently flawed. LACE says other customs existed in previous times and places, and thus cultures in the Third Age and before are likely different than the document’s. Therefore, for two separate reasons, LACE is less universal and more unreliable than fanon would have it.


Chapter End Notes

Sources:
1. The Book of Lost Tales 1, The Cottage of Lost Play, “Commentary on 'The Cottage of Lost Play'”
2. The Lost Road, The Lost Road, “(iii) The Unwritten Chapters”
3. The Book of Lost Tales 2, The History of Eriol or Aelfwine and the End of the Tales, (5)
4. The Shaping of Middle-earth, The Earliest Annals of Valinor, “Commentary on the Annals of Valinor”
5. The Lost Road, Part Two: Valinor and Middle-earth before The Lord of the Rings, VI Quenta Silmarillion, The Title Page of the QS Manuscript
6. Morgoth's Ring, Ainulindalë, Version C Title Page and Version D Title Page
7. War of the Jewels, The Later Quenta Silmarillion, 13 Concerning the Dwarves, “Of the Naugrim and the Edain,” §8.
8. The Book of Lost Tales 1: Foreword.
9. Morgoth's Ring, “The Later Quenta Silmarillion (II),” Note on Dating.
10. Morgoth's Ring, “Laws and Customs Among the Eldar”
11. The Lost Road, The Lost Road, “(iii) The Unwritten Chapters”
12. The Lost Road, Part Two: Valinor and Middle-earth before The Lord of the Rings, VI Quenta Silmarillion, “The Conclusion of the Quenta Silmarillion,” §33.
13. Morgoth's Ring, “Laws and Customs Among the Eldar”
14. The Letters of JRR Tolkien, Letter 211


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you for this. It is very concise, readable, and hits the major troubling points concerning the authorship of L&C. I will be pointing people here in the future when this topic comes up! :D

Something that's always bothered me about L&C--well, there are lots of things that bother me about L&C, but this is definitely a biggie--is this: As you note, that Aelfwine was quite possibly a Christian. Whether sixth- or tenth-century, England was only nominally Christian at that point, and outside the urban centers, people practiced a form of paganism flavored by Christianity. Aelfwine's tone in L&C is one of admiration and respect. He is presenting the Eldar as a culture worth looking up to.

What is his agenda? It is interesting that so much of what he presents of the Eldar--the sexual conservatism, the emphasis on marriage and children, the traditional gender roles--mirror Christian belief. How convenient. So why is he presenting these wonderful, beautiful, and ethereal people to his countrymen? What is he hoping to convince them of, at this point in history where Christianity had only achieved a foothold in some parts of his country? If he'd discovered beliefs or behaviors that went against his own religious views, would he have presented them?

Aelfwine has always struck me as a very untrustworthy narrator for this reason.

Now off to finish my very L&C noncompliant International Day of Femslash story. >:^)))

You are quite welcome! And thank you! I'm honestly blushing that you think it's worth pointing others to. (It was a bit of an adventure writing it. Among other things, I went to three bookstores to find BoLT1 because the library's sole copy was already checked out *and* had a hold on it.)

 

As for Christianity: my question with Aelfwine is how he meshed his beliefs with the existence of the Elves. Because while I don't know-- or remember-- as much as I should about the beliefs of medieval Catholics and how they would look at the Elves, I do know they would be far more likely to see them as agents of evil than anything else. So LACE written as-is seems to play into a "they're not evil; they're just like us only better and therefore holier" mindset.

 

Good luck! (I do find it amusing that I posted an anti-LACE essay on IDF.)