Themed Collection: Alliterative Verse for Arda

Themed Collections: Alliterative Verse for Arda

If you've ever read Beowulf or Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, you have read an alliterative poem. These poems are not the light love poems that often come to mind when we think of English poetry but capture what Tolkien called the Northern imagination: sometimes bitter, sometimes harsh, steeped in courage, calling to mind an austere beauty.

This month, as part of our Themed Collection series, Rhunedhel has assembled a collection of alliterative poems about Tolkien's world. Rhundhel is the editor of Forgotten Ground Regained, the definitive source of Modern English alliterative poetry online, which publishes a quarterly journal of alliterative verse. Alliterative verse, which is the traditional format of many early Germanic poetic traditions, was beloved by Tolkien, who centered his scholarly and creative efforts upon it. Today, his fans continue working in this ancient form as they craft poems about the legendarium. Rhunedhel was kind enough to select ten legendarium-inspired poems to introduce readers to alliterative verse based on Tolkien. As always, we want to hear your favorites as a comment on the collection.

You can check out Rhundhel's collection, "Alliterative Verse for Arda," here.


Posted on 28 September 2024 (updated 30 September 2024) by SWG Moderators