The sweet song of Poppies by Rhapsody

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Thank you Himring, for the encouragement!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Morwen is summoned by Acca to fulfill the need of the latter.

Major Characters: Morwen, Original Female Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, Slash/Femslash

Challenges: Tolkien Femslash Week Bingo

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 200
Posted on 16 July 2016 Updated on 16 July 2016

This fanwork is complete.

The sweet song of Poppies

A companion fixed length ficlet to my story Unconquered, written for Tolkien Femslash Bingo 2016.

Read The sweet song of Poppies

If one thing life had taught her it was kindness of surrender, accepting she would not accept defeat of her kindred. Many still were so hopeful as long as she remained here in Dor-lómin. To fall on your knees in front of her in utter obedience, the sister’s lord, Morwen knew that it was a small sacrifice for so many. It was her duty to her people, she reminded herself, especially to that child she just seemingly rescued from Acca’s whims.

Allowing herself a sideway glimpse, she noted how the girl walked backwards: fear defining every move as tears brimmed in the child’s eyes. The impatient sigh of Acca forced her attention back to the floor. Her mistress was impatient, that much she could tell as the glint of steel briefly flashed so near. There would be no dancing to the tune of a flute, ah if only such luxury existed here.

Poising for the pain to come, she limited herself to about the red poppies in the fields, the sweet song of the black birds early in the morning and the reward of the cool touch of cotton as white as daisies that would follow once this was over.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I like how this expands on the original story, where you don't get much into why Morwen remained and what her presence must have meant to her people. Just like the original, there is such a lovely blend of beauty and darkness: the horror of thralldom delivered in beautiful, poetic language. Well done, Rhapsy--I am so glad to see your name on the Most Recent page again! :)