Threads of Time by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story takes place the summer after "Dear Adar and Naneth..." which was written for Levade in 2010 and can be found here Dear Adar and Naneth (Yulefic for Levade) - by Kaylee Arafinwiel - LOTR Community Challenges — LiveJournal (I don't remember if I've posted it anywhere else). Essentially in my-verse, Elwing and Earendil have a childhood friendship that blossoms into romance later. But it isn't the main point of this story, just background, and you don't have to know that story to enjoy this one.

This story was inspired by the "Making a Skein" prompt, though the title of another prompt may have pervaded my consciousness when writing it...

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Young Elwing seeks her Aunt Galadriel's reassurance after a disappointing judgement on her threadwork at the Arvernien Summer Faire.

Major Characters: Elwing, Galadriel

Major Relationships: Elwing & Galadriel

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family

Challenges: Dear Irmo

Rating: Teens

Warnings: In-Universe Racism/Ethnocentrism

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 590
Posted on 21 September 2021 Updated on 21 September 2021

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Aside from the actual prompt, I was inspired by my friend Susana's favorite quote of the day: 

“Child, child, do you not see? For each of us comes a time when we must be more than what we are.”- Lloyd Alexander, The Castle of Llyr

...as well as a source that will probably be obvious to anyone who enjoys musicals. That is not an accident.

OCs mentioned include:

Saelrien, Elwing's Nurse, who is an important OC of mine (and is the same character simply called "Nurse" in the fic I linked - I hadn't named her yet.) 

Lady Aerlinniel - one of the more important Noldorin noble ladies, her husband is a member of Gil-galad's court.

Lady Miriel - new for this story, a friend of Aerlinniel's. She is also one of Princess Idril's new friends, which is why Elwing knows her - in my-verse, Tuor and Idril have practically adopted the motherless Elwing, who is now their son's best friend.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


That is very touching, Kaylee!

I am glad that Elwing has Galadriel's support as a mentor and Earendil's friendship to sustain and distract her.

I am sure her threadwork is great!