Guileless Son by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Fanwork Notes

In mine and AfricanDaisy’s ‘verse, Carphadril is a queen of the Evair (Avari) who settled in far northern Greenwood. Two of her daughters married ellyn who became high nobles of Doriath, forsaking her to continue the Great Journey westward, and she desires the fall of all Doriathrin nobility due to their treachery.

In our main ficverse, though, she doesn't start quite this early to take out her revenge on the Iathrim. But the plotbunny I was given bit, and so...

It is prophesied that only treachery from within will cause Doriath to fall. (“Sketch of the Mythology”)

Also, it is National Poetry Month and I am including the B2MEM 2023 prompt "Haiku".

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Carphadril, Queen of the Evair, moves against the King and Queen of Doriath, a threat to her rule. She raises a son who - she hopes - will wed Luthien and claim the throne of the other great forest realm for her.

 

Major Characters: Daeron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe

Challenges: Rejects

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 493
Posted on 16 April 2023 Updated on 16 April 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

“Guileless son, I’ll shape your belief, and you’ll always know that your father’s a thief/You won’t understand the cause of your grief but you’ll always follow the voices beneath that sing/Loyalty, loyalty, loyalty, loyalty only to me…” - Heather Dale, “Mordred’s Lullaby”


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you so much!! Yes, very poor Dairon. I don't know if I'll ever add more to this AU, but the song is one of my favorites (I love Heather Dale's music in general, and she's a fantastic person besides being an amazing singer!!) I do kind of want to know what'll happen when Dairon tries to carry out the plan, but I have no idea right now lol.

Oh this is truly chilling! Poor Daeron, what a horrid stepmother! And I feel for the people of Gorthebar, it almost sounds as if the place was better when it became known as Mirkwood! I think Daeron is fortunate to escape her and enjoy the comparative freedom of Doriath...

Thanks Anerea! Yes, Carphadril is a terrible stepmother (but being a dark sorceress, it kind of comes with the territory, I think). 

I don't know if Carphadril was worse than Sauron, because at least the majority of her power was localized to above the Enchanted River (she enchanted it, I haven't yet figured out how or why) but occasionally she'd send out a specific messenger or two to complete a specific mission elsewhere, if her power felt threatened by some outside source. She wouldn't go herself and do the thing.

It's more likely that Carphadril is an unwitting tool of Morgoth (or Sauron, I suppose) than being a threat to their power. I imagine she was corrupted by them or one of the other Maiar in Morgoth's following, whether directly or indirectly.