B2ME Day 11 - Family Matters by Erulisse

Fanwork Information

Summary:

B2ME Day 11 - Sacrifices to achieve peace.  A surprise action by Artanis ensures peace on a family vacation.  

Major Characters: Finwë, Galadriel, Glorfindel, Indis, Turgon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: B2MeM 2011

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 861
Posted on 13 March 2011 Updated on 13 March 2011

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

 

Family Matters

 

It was the middle of summer, or at least what would pass for such during the years of the Trees, and the children were getting restless.  Although there were no young children at Finwë’s home at that time, his grandchildren and their many cousins were making their presence known by running from house to house, playing with each other.  They would play with wooden swords in one home, practice archery at a second, and finally calm down by reading and drinking chilled drinks at a third.  It was inevitable that the sound of playing children would penetrate the walls of the King’s court causing servants and nobles alike to lift their heads from their daily business time and time again. 

Finwë made a decision.  To escape the children for a while, he would invite the older male elves to join him for a hunting trip.  They would stay in the lodge that he kept in the northern lands. 

Indis, as a counterpoint, invited all of the wives, daughters, and their children to join her at their lake house in the south.  This large home was set hard against the mountains, shaded by tall firs and leafy beeches, and featured both a river for fishing and a deep pool for swimming. 

By the end of the week the Tirion court was deserted except for a skeleton crew of servants necessary to maintain the various households. 

*   *   *   *   *

Indis and the other women arrived at the lake house after two days of travel.  The children had been fairly well behaved during the trip out, but they happily threw their things into their assigned rooms, changed into play clothes and, running out into the forest, began a game of catch-me through the trees.  One of the mothers called out a warning.  “Make sure you older ones watch out for the younger ones; and no jumping off the cliff face into the lake unless you are at least forty years old.”  Calls of “Yes, Amme” echoed back to the adults as they laughed and settled on the large front porch to relax and enjoy the remainder of the day. 

Turukáno and Laurefindel were chasing each other through the trees, finally coming to a rest at the lake side.  Although there was a twenty-year difference in age between them, they were close friends.  In fact Laurefindel practically worshipped Turukáno as if he was an older brother.  They spoke quietly together, swinging their legs in the chill water while stealing looks at the cliff before them on the far side of the lake.  Halfway around the eastern side of the cliff face was a stunning waterfall, the waters of which fed the deep lake where the children would swim for the next two weeks.  The western side of the bank featured a gradual climb up to a sheer cliff face on the southern end.  The older boys would sometimes jump or dive from the top, but the younger boys were not allowed to.  The girls never dared to jump at all.  At the top of the cliff, where tradition held was the best place to jump into the water from, sat Artanis leaning against a tree with a book in her hand. 

“Let’s walk to the jump-off point, Finda.  You can watch me jump in.” 

They began walking, and as they walked, Laurefindel began to argue in favor of his jumping along with his best friend. 

“No, Finda.  You’re too young to jump, but I can show you how to do it and then when you’re older, you’ll know how.” 

“I am NOT too young.” Laurefindel stated.  “I am at least as strong and as fast as you are and I know how to swim.  I can jump at least as well as you can.” 

“I’m not arguing that you are almost my equal in strength although you are much younger than I am.  But you know the rules.  You are too young to jump from the cliff top.” 

By the time they had arrived at the highest point of the cliff in question, their arguments had degenerated into a good natured but physical pushing and shouting match between the boys. 

“Be quiet!” Artanis said forcefully. 

Both boys stopped moving and looked, shocked, at her. 

“If you cannot behave like grown-up elves, then you are both children and neither of you shall jump.” 

“But” … “but” … both of the boys were stuttering. 

“If you want to see how it’s done, just watch,” and Artanis placed her book next to the tree and rose to her feet.  Pulling off her overshift, she walked to the cliff edge, stood poised for a moment, and then dived off the cliff with perfect form, entering the water like a knife blade.  The boys watched her dive, looking over the edge of the cliff with their mouths open.  Then they looked at each other, amazement in their glances. 

“Do you suppose she would teach us how to do that if we were quiet?” Turukáno asked. 

“I’ll be good if you’ll be good…” 

And peace reigned in the valley for the remainder of their vacation.  

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.