Fëanor, The World's Worst Son-In-Law by Uvatha the Horseman

| | |

Lake Cuiviénen


Mahtan came downstairs to breakfast the next morning before the rest of the household was up and found Fëanor already awake.

"You're up early," said Mahtan.

"I haven't been to bed at all. I'm looking at the world through yesterday's eyes," said Fëanor. His words tumbled out one after the other, and his eyes were wild. His eyes shone with triumph.

"I've done it! It happened just once, when I least expected it, after I'd been trying all night. I don't know if I can do it again, but I've seen Lake Cuiviénen. I saw the deep lake, and the forests around it, and the people on the shores. I saw the Awakening." His face was full of wonder.

"How did you do it?" Mahtan pulled up a chair at the kitchen table and sat down beside his son-in-law.

"The stone is controlled by the will of the user. A strong-willed person can make it do more, can steer it to greater ranges or look further back in time," said Fëanor.

Strong-willed? His son-in-law certainly was that.

"So what happens next?" Mahtan asked.

"I practice until I can do it on command. I don't have much time. I met with the investors day after tomorrow." Fëanor jumped to his feet and began to pace the room.

Fëanor was in a bad temper that morning, snapping at the boys for no reason. Mahtan glanced at Nerdanel and raised an eyebrow.

"He didn't come to bed at all last night, and he's worried about his meeting with the investors. So much hinges on it. He can't take it to the next step and build a full-scale one without a new foundry. It's more than one family can pay for," she said.

The boys fled the house, saying they were going out exploring. Fëanor took the seeing stone and sat in a chair by the fireplace, which was cold at the beginning of April. He composed his features in a mask of calmness, and gazed into the glass, but seemed to give up in frustration. He took a break and came back to it, but soon became frustrated again.

Nerdanel grew impatient with him. "You need to go for a walk and calm down. When you come back, it will go better." Fëanor stepped outside into the brisk spring air, and in his absence, the entire household seems to relax.

Mahtan used the quiet time to knead bread dough. He had just put half a dozen loaves in the oven to bake when the front door banged. From the kitchen, Mahtan heard, "Amrod and Amras, I told you not to play with that. Give it here!"

Mahtan dusted flour off himself and looked through the kitchen doorway. Fëanor was leaning over the twins, who were camped in their usual spot in the window seat. He took the stone away from them and took it over to the chair by the fireplace.

Fëanor cupped the stone in his hands. His manner was more meditative and calm that it had been earlier. After a time, Mahtan saw his eyes fill with a look of wonder. "I did it. I saw them. I saw the Lake and the forests around it in starlight, and the Firstborn dwelling on its shores." Fëanor's voice was reverent.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment