Even the Greatest Art Cannot Survive Forever by LadyBrooke

| | |

Fanwork Notes

So way back in April when I inititally got my prompt for A Woman's Sceptre (“A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places.”), I was writing a fiction piece instead of poetry based on the very first part of the quote and based on the differences in art between cultures. This is that story, though still not as long as I wanted.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In Doriath, Galadriel and Nimloth discuss the art of the Noldor and the art of the Sindar, and whether Lúthien is the equivalent of Nerdanel.

Major Characters: Galadriel, Nimloth

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Woman's Sceptre, New Year's Resolution

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 390
Posted on 10 February 2018 Updated on 10 February 2018

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

“Nerdanel – Fëanor’s wife, though she has always been a much more likeable person than he – is counted among the greatest artists of our people,” Galadriel spoke, looking at Nimloth. “She has a skill for capturing movement and feeling in her pieces that no other sculptor I have seen has.”

Nimloth leaned forward, looking at the sketches of sculptures in the book. “I can only imagine her skill, though it seems that your art is mostly focused on physical objects if this represents all of the greatest works.”

“Isn't your art focused on physical objects as well? Melian’s tapestries hang on the walls, and I have seen others paint directly on the walls.” Galadriel pointed towards the entrance, where carved trees rose from the stone into the ceiling of the cave. “And of course, the combined carvings of the dwarves and the Sindar line the caves.”

“Yes, but the tapestries are to remember things, as are the paintings and the carvings. They’re art as well, but none of their makers are counted among our greatest artists.”

“Then who is?” Galadriel raised a brow. “I have seen little other form of art, unless your greatest works are hidden in some other space.”

“Of course you have seen them.” Nimloth laughed. “Do your people not see dance as art? Our greatest skill is in our music and our dances, and Lúthien and Daeron are among are greatest, though we have other dancers and musicians as well. My mother was skilled on the lute, before her death, and even Daeron has yet to surpass her on that instrument.”

“But you cannot keep those pieces, they vanish as soon as they are performed and none who come later can judge their skill,” Galadriel replied.

Nimloth laughed again. “And your statues are impervious to the passage of time and the dangers of existence? Already, our carvings are worn by the water dripping down upon them, and if we fled we could not take them with us. Nothing survives forever.”

“In Valinor, art is seen differently,” Galadriel said. “But perhaps your view is correct in these lands.”

Nimloth shrugged. “And perhaps it will also prove true in Valinor, though neither of us is likely to see it. But in our view, dance and music are as much arts as any of your physical objects are.”


Chapter End Notes

of course, the Sindar aren't nomads at the time most of the book is set, but I thought it would be interesting to show a culture that is still not entirely convinced that they will be in Doriath forever - what happens if we have to flee? We can't take those statues with us, art is temporary, so why wouldn't their greatest artists be musicians and dancers? Whereas to the Noldor, the greatest art is permanent.

 

Also, my Nimloth is the Andreth of the Sindar - she will argue the Noldor to distraction and reject their rightness. :P


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.