Quite Batty by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This drabble is for the Crackuary bingo card, square O4: choose a whack detail from The Book of Lost Tales to become canon.

In fact, it is not quite as cracky as the title might suggest.

However: warning for brief description of gory animal death

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In The Book of Lost Tales, Fui Nienna's hall is roofed with bats' wings.

In later canon, it is a certain other female character who is associated with bat wings.

There can be no connection, though, surely?

Major Characters: Nienna, Thuringwethil

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Crackuary

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 99
Posted on 8 March 2020 Updated on 8 March 2020

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

Did anyone remember, Thuringwethil wondered, that she had emerged from the same train of thought in Eru’s mind as Nienna? Never a Maia of Nienna—Nienna did not hold with the idea of Maiar being hers, anyway. Nevertheless, creeping despair was not so far from grief. Who might Thuringwethil have been, had she not allowed herself so early to be compelled by shadow and seduced by secrets? Meditatively, her fangs ripped into the body of a live bat.

On the shore of Ekkaia, Nienna sighed. Lifting her hood, she allowed a tiny bat to seek shelter in her white hair.


Chapter End Notes

100 words in MS word

That bit about Nienna not caring to claim Maiar as hers is spun out of the description of her teaching of Olorin. The idea is that she would teach anyone who came to be taught, but would regard claiming them as followers as too possessive an attitude.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Ha! As a kid, I was phobic about bats getting tangled in my long black hair (sounds like some freak version of a Child ballad). Where I grew up there was a folk myth circulating that if one had black hair a bat might fly at it thinking it was a hole to fly into and hide and everyone knows that would be disastrous, right?