Before the Great Music: An Account Before the Ainulindale by Alcarin

| | |

Chapter 3 Melkor's Bait

Melkor attempts to draw other lesser Ainur into his fold, most notably Ungwelian, she who among the Children of Iluvatar would later become known as Ungoliant, the Spider of Night.


 

MELKOR'S BAIT

 

 

 

It now came to pass that in the Halls of Eru, many of the Ainur have begun to gather in great numbers. For though through long ages, most of the Ainur had opted to sing alone or in small groups, being as yet not learned in the art of blending their thoughts into Song, they have now, slowly but surely, begun to take interest in the thoughts of their brethren. For by listening to the thoughts of their peers, they discovered many wondrous things, which otherwise would not have been brought into being had they merely sung alone. And the beauty of the things created from their blended thoughts brought them ever greater delight, realizing more deeply and clearly now the wonders of the gifts Eru had bequeathed to them.

Then Melkor saw all that was done, and he grew then the more envious within. For in his quest to find the Secret Fire he had wandered too long in the void places, and in his absence, many of the Ainur had come to appreciate the powers and thoughts of their peers.

And seeing this filled him all the more with scorn. But Manwe he envied the most, for he saw that many had flocked to his side, being filled with great wonder over his many devising. And this was because among all the Ainur, Manwe was held dearest to Eru, being able to understand most clearly his designs and purposes. And to see and hear those wondrous things come from the mind of Manwe made the other Ainur feel as though they came from Eru himself, and they were astounded and amazed.

But now Melkor grew desirous of their good graces, as he too yearned to be marveled at, and to be held mightiest. For in his pride over his own might, he had shunned the company of others, counting them of little worth. But now he realized his folly, and he desired now to be like Manwe and the others. Yet despite this, great contempt he still held for them, for he viewed them as usurpers over his claim to preeminence. And in the depths of his heart, he desired rather to have them serve him, and to do his every bidding, that he may all the more become glorified.

So it was that Melkor now began to preach of new knowledge, claiming to know things only he had seen. Very fine and subtle were his words at first that initially only few Ainur paid heed. But he had patience, and cunning, so that in no great time, many Ainur were drawn to his revelations. And so it was that even as Melkor had begun speaking of this new knowledge did he notice that already there were many Ainur about him, for even those who were initially with Manwe and Ulmo had come.

And seeing at last that many had now gathered before him, Melkor stood on a high place, and with a great voice he said: “Behold the great things you have accomplished here! For I see that you are all enamoured of the handiwork of your imagining, to which they most certainly are. Yet many things you do not know. For so great and astounding are these things I have discovered that they must be made known, for would it not be selfish on my account to keep this in my despite?”

Thus did Melkor for the first time speak of the Void, and the Ainur were astounded to hear this, for none of them had seen or heard of it as yet. But seeing that many heeded him, he began to speak more openly. And still more he revealed, and he spoke now of an all-pervading Darkness around them, and he spoke of its endlessness, claiming it to be an Unbeing so deep and immeasurable that not even the Light of their blessed abode could penetrate it.

And with these words, many of the Ainur were indeed astonished, and they conversed among themselves, seeking to understand the meaning of this new thing. But because many of the Ainur at that time could not yet fully comprehend the weight of Melkor’s words, many of them soon departed, and went whither they would. And many resumed with the Music they had last made with their fellows before Melkor had spoken.

But a great deal still remained, and among them many felt impelled to learn more from him. However, because of his splendour and the majesty with which he carried himself, they retracted from their previous intent, and they departed like the others, though the thought of the Void remained in their hearts. But some there were who were greatly stirred by the portent of his words, for indeed Melkor was most skillful in the art of persuasion.

So it was that no sooner had he spoken did Ungwelian came to him. Ungwelian alone among the Ainur had felt unsatisfied with the Light of the Timeless Halls, and she was in a state of unrest, and she said: “Mighty words you have spoken, Melkor, as indeed you verily are. But I wonder if this Void you speak of can cure my ailment.”

Then Melkor turned to her and said: “And what is this ailment you speak of?”

Ungwelian looked about her furtively, as though afraid her words would be heard by others. Then turning to him again, she answered, “So much light abounds here, yet still I find myself in discontent.”

And Melkor laughed. “Would you then rather take for yourself the light of the others?” he said, subtly turning his eyes to the direction of the other Ainur that were gathered nearby.

“Nay, that cannot be! For being living beings as I am, their light is not something I can simply claim for myself,” said Ungwelian. “Yet you spoke of the Void, saying that its Darkness has some power not found in the Light. Is that true?”

And boring into her eyes, Melkor said: “Yes. Long have I explored the deep regions of the Void, for how else can I claim it to be true if I had not seen it myself?” But then swiftly he added, “Yet what it has to offer you, only you can tell.”

However, Ungwelian understood not what he said. Then Melkor perceived that she had little understanding of the things about her, save only for those that have use for her own needs, and he scorned her for her primitive thinking. But he showed this not, seeing she might as yet succeed where he had failed. And he laughed in his heart.

Therefore Melkor said to her: “The light we see here is merely the result of the power that issues from our very Being. But in the Void, the darkness there issues from nothing, for it is Nothing.” And indeed here, Melkor did tell the truth, for though he had now begun to harbor thoughts and motives different from those of his fellows, he was as yet incapable of lying. Not yet.

But Ungwelian remained unconvinced, and she said, “Yet you said it was endless, more so than the Light?”

“True. But you cannot hope to comprehend its power merely through my words,” said Melkor. “To understand the Void, one has to be in the Void.”

Then upon hearing of the Void’s endlessness, she grew the more impatient, and she asked him: “Can the Void assuage my discontent?”

Then Melkor looked at her, and gazing into her heart he perceived the fire of her desires. Long he looked at her in silence. At last, he said: “Come with me. I will show you the Void.”

And so did Melkor and Ungwelian pass through the limitless stretch of the Timeless Halls, for their abode was indeed limitless, vast beyond the reckoning of Men or Elves, with the realm of Ea being but a speck against its immeasurable halls. Yet still they were Ainur, mightiest among the creatures of Eru, and by the power that resides in them, even the seemingly immeasurable they can traverse.

And now, hurtling through the ever changing mists of the Timeless Halls, they looked up and beheld the Firmament, the roofless clouds swirling upward before its light-filled sky. But looking down into the far distance they beheld the Abyss, its white mists coiling precariously along its edges before finally plunging into the cavernous chasm beyond, down into its bottomless depths.

And still across the incalculable distances they journeyed together, until at last they reached the threshold of the Timeless Halls. Seeing it now they swiftly descended, and, espying a high place, they alighted on it.

They strained their thoughts about them, but no thought or song they heard, for they were alone.

Together now they looked out, and beheld that the white mists before them sloped downwards into a vast field of white clouds. And the light pierced the clouds outward from many sides, so that it appeared as though they were illuminated from within. But as they gazed further across this lighted field, they noticed the light grow steadily dimmer, the shining clouds fading woefully into a deeper shade of gray as their vision focused ever more distantly.

And so it was that at last their vision rested on the unforgiving blackness beyond, out into the Everlasting Darkness.

“Behold the Void!” said Melkor.

Dark stretched the Void before them, its looming darkness appearing to encroach on the lighted fringes of the Timeless Halls.

And indeed Ungwelian was filled with awe, for never before had she seen anything so vast and forbidding. But now, seeing with her own eyes the truth of Melkor's words, she was instantly filled with fear, even being the Ainu that she was. For the Void was indeed frightening, having indeed the power to cow even the very will.

But Melkor said to her: “There, I believe, you will find your answers, and the cure to your discontent.”

Yet Ungwelian remained fearful, and she would not stir from where she stood, though her eyes remained fixed on the black emptiness before her. “Nay! Now that I have seen the Void, I would not enter it, nor see it again,” she said, for she felt that her entry into the Void would be the portent of her doom.

Then Melkor laughed aloud, and this time he did not hide his contempt, and he said to her: “Then all would have been in vain, for this journey was made chiefly on your account. No use I have for the Void, for already I have seen it. But you, I believe, have greater need of it than I do.”

Then Melkor sensed her hesitation, and thereupon he now pinned his hopes on her, for indeed that was the true reason he had been all too willing to show her the Void; for he hoped that in her dire need to assuage her discontent over the Light, she would enter the Void of her own free will. And though he knew from the very beginning that the darkness of the Void would not assuage her discontent, he hoped rather she will have the greater patience to endure its vast emptiness, being driven by the fire of need, and thereupon by good fortune finally discover the ultimate resting place of the Flame Imperishable. And he, aware of her primitive thinking, counted on her returning and asking him of what she had discovered, thereby leading him at last to claim the Flame Imperishable for himself.

But now, seeing that Ungwelian held back, he saw his plans teeter to outright ruin, and for that he disliked her all the more. Yet his contempt he held in check, and he refrained from deriding her any further, lest she flee from where she stood, and so foil his designs. Realizing that in her current state cowing would not succeed, he now turned to cunning.

And Melkor changed his demeanor, he whispered to her: “If you do not wish to enter, then that is yours to decide. But, seeing as the other Ainur will not lend or give you their light of their own free will, then I see no way of allaying your discontent should you choose to remain in the Light.”

And with these final words, Ungwelian was suddenly roused from fear, as the driving need to allay her internal affliction rose like a fire in her heart, allowing her to overcome her initial fear of the Void. And Ungwelian said, “Nay, I will find no peace here.”

Then Melkor, seeing that he was on the verge of accomplishing his goals, and yet still held back by her recurring fears, said to her: “So, will you enter the Void?”

But Ungwelian did not answer, being once more held fast by the darkness before her.

But Melkor smiled, and indeed he had great reason to do so, for looking at Ungwelian with eyes that burned through her confounding cloak, he saw her fear vanish like a dust in the billowing wind, being replaced instead by a fierceness that could only be fueled by lust, and want, and desire.

And seeing this, Melkor at last saw the answer to his question. Much to his heart’s content.

 

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment