A King's Visit by King Naugladur

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Azaghal of Gabilgathol, aka Belegost, persuades Naugladur of Tumunzahar, aka Nogrod, to fight for the Free Peoples at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.

Major Characters: Azaghâl

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 998
Posted on 2 May 2015 Updated on 2 May 2015

This fanwork is complete.

A King's Visit

Read A King's Visit

King Naugladur of Tumunzahar was sitting upon his throne, flanked by two of his guards. He had been left alone on his request, so that he could think about the relations of his realm with the proud Elves that came from west of the Sea and what his aid would be in their fight against the Black Foe of the world. What thoughts he was making in his mind and heart we know  not, but we know that he was interrupted by Frain, one of the messengers he used to send to Gabilgathol and Dor Caranthir.

“We have a visitor, o King”, said Frain. “And I say he is most impatient”.

“Who is he, Frain? Will you not announce his name?”

“Lord  Azaghal of Gabilgathol, o King. Shall I tell him you want to be let alone, or shall I let him enter your hall?”

“Azaghal was always been a hearty friend of me and Gabilgathol”, replied Naugladur.  “Let him come, Frain”.

Frain bowed deeply and exited the hall. Moments later, he returned, escorting Azaghal. He bowed to both of them, said “If you want something, send for Frain, o Masters. At your service” and left the chamber.

“Hail, Azaghal, Lord of Gabilgathol. My messenger told me you have something for me to hear. Shall you speak your message now?”

“My words, o Naugladur of Tumunzahar, are for your ear alone and not for your subjects. So,I may ask your guards to leave you and I guarantee I mean no harm to you.”

“My guards say what I tell them to say and do what I bid them to do. They will move only to defend me. Nothing shall escape their mouths, unless I say so” was Naugladur’s response.

“Then I shall speak”, said Azaghal. “In short, o King of Tumunzahar, we want your services in the upcoming war.”

“Against whom shall you fight? Is it only a war of Gabilgathol and your appeal to us is based on our kinship?” asked Naugladur.

“It is not a war only for our axes and not its only participant is Gabilgathol”, responded Azaghal.  “It is a war against the Black Foe of the world and the Elves from over the Sea invite us to fight at their side. Maedhros the Tall and Caranthir the Dark visited my halls and required my allegiance.”

“And how can Tumunzahar respond to this plea? Was it their idea that you visit me and request my aid?” enquired Naugladur.

“They said that any help would be most appreciated. Our help may do the difference, o King. If the Elves defeat the Dark Lord and we stand by them, rich rewards await us, treasures not dreamed of by any of our race, or so they told me. So, I ask you again, what do you reply in the plea? If you have no wish or desire to help them, consider what aid you received from Gabilgathol when Orc legions surrounded your army near Mount Dolmed and how Gabilgathol’s banners flew in the air when the tide turned and our axes crumbled their resistance. What say you, o Naugladur?” asked Azaghal, his patience naring exhaustion.

For a moment, King Naugladur remained silent. He caressed his beard, placed his hands on his lap, rose from the throne and said to Azaghal: “Tumunzahar shall answer the plea.  What sort of aid do you request? Weapons? Soldiers? Both?”

“I fear both is the answer”, replied Azaghal honestly. “Will you be able to respond, or not?”

“I will send ten thousand axes and the city shall forge fifty thousand swords and shields,” announced Naugladur. “Tomorrow I shall tell my people, but fear not. They will follow me to any end.  And I will lead my host personally, next to you. And you shall be our leader, for you are older and more experienced in all matters pertaining to war.”

“You are most kind and generous, o Naugladur”, replied Azaghal. “You are honoring me, by offering me the leader’s position. Let it be this way, then. But, I want to tell you one more thing.”

“Speak”, commanded Naugladur.

“Your assistance will be appreciated if you help me persuade Lord Caranthir not to take the Easterlings under his banner, for my heart warns me that they are treacherous”, responded Azaghal.

“The people of Bor, treacherous? Peace, o King of Gabilgathol, peace! They have established contact with my people and have not given me cause to entertain so low a feeling for them”, said Naugladur is disbelief.

“Not the people of Bor, but those of Ulfang and they are not known in Tumunzahar, I bet”, cautioned Azaghal. “I have met with their chief. They are swarthy and aggressive and not to be trusted.”

“I had heard naught of them”, admitted Naugladur. “If it is your wish, I shall accompany you to Dor Caranthir and we will try our hand in preventing the inclusion of the Easterlings in his host. But, let us leave those matters for now. Dinner time is coming and you will be my guest, o Lord Azaghal. And I will have a chamber given to you, so that you can spend some days in my realm before returning to your duties at Gabilgathol”

“I have no words to thank you, o King of the Broadbeams”, said Azaghal. “But, time is pressing heavily upon us. Tomorrow, I shall embark on my journey to Dor Caranthir, to converse with him on the subject of the Easterlings. I think you have agreed to accompany me on my journey”.

“That’s true”, was Naugladur’s response. “But, as I stated before, we will leave those matters for the daytime of tomorrow. Now is the time of feast and enjoyment and subsequently, rest. Follow me to the dining room.”

Azaghal followed him and soon indulged himself to the rich meal, accompanied by the ale of their preference. Then, Naugladur showed him his room and Azaghal retired to it. Soon, Naugladur retied to his chambers.

Both Dwarf lords had an uneasy night,  with dreams of battle,  blood and fell creatures disturbing the hoards of gold and jewels, the great fires and the feasts of giant proportions they normally dreamed of. Neither of them knew what the future had in stock for them, but they found solace in knowing that Tumunzahar and Gabilgathol would march together against the Dark Enemy.

 

 


Chapter End Notes

I always felt that Nogrod was present at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, something not stated or contradicted in "The Silmarillion".


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.