Outrun, Outlast by StarSpray

| | |

Chapter 1


"Sweet Elbereth," Elurín murmured as he and Eluréd reached the highest branches of the tree. It was difficult to see very far through the haze of smoke—Sauron and his servants seemed to set fire to nearly everything they touched—but the "banner" hoisted over Sauron's host was unmistakable. "Is that who I think it is?"

"Probably." Eluréd could not look very long before he began climbing back down, concentrating on the pine sap sticking to his hands so he didn't have to think about the vision of destruction laid out in front of them. "Can you think of anyone else he'd want to display like that?"

"I never thought I would pity a scion of Fëanor's house," Elurín said. He dropped lightly to the ground beside Eluréd. "Did you see any sign of Elrond's people?" Eluréd shook his head. "I didn't, either."

"He can't turn back west, or south," Eluréd said. "The only way he can go is north." He raised his head, looking back south. "Elurín…"

"Do you think we have time?"

"Yes, I think so."

It took a few hours, but by the time they turned northward to try to catch up to Elrond and Celeborn, there were several large, cleverly hidden traps and pits waiting for the orcs to come charging heedlessly through. It would not delay them long, but every little bit helped, in times like these. And with any luck, the Enemy's soldiers might think the land itself was set against them.

They had not intended to get involved. Word had reached them at Iarwain Ben-adar's house of some nonsense with rings going on in Eregion, and then something about that strange Annatar being having actually been Sauron, and they had decided it was a good thing they'd avoided Eregion since his coming, having heard that neither Gil-galad, Elrond, nor Galadriel trusted him. "Imagine if we'd walked up and introduced ourselves," Elurín had remarked, as they lay on the grassy banks of the Withywindle watching the clouds sail by, while somewhere downstream Goldberry and Iarwain sang at each other. "I wonder if he would have been so committed to his disguise if he'd known Lúthien's grandsons were walking about Ost-in-Edhil."

But then the news had gotten worse, and worse, until it was clear that no one in Eriador—indeed, no one in Middle-earth—could safely avoid this conflict. It seemed even Iarwain's little realm might be overrun, though it might hold out beyond all else. So they'd packed their things and struck out westward, and found a company of Gil-galad's soldiers to offer their services as scouts. "Master Elrond will need your skills more than we do," the captain had told them. "He's already gone east to Ost-in-Edhil."

They'd followed the path of Elrond's army, but found it now greatly diminished, and in the confusion around Ost-in-Edhil they'd managed to lose it entirely. Which was good, for it said that Elrond and his people were managing to hide their tracks.

"Here," Eluréd called to Elurín. "Blood," he said as Elurín jogged back to join him. He plucked a few leaves from a bush. "Someone was injured who passed by. Going that way." He pointed toward the mountains. They were heading further east than expected. And now that they'd discovered the first signs, it was easy to see the hidden trails. Whoever had done the work had either come from or been taught by someone out of Doriath, for they used the same methods that Nellas had taught Eluréd and Elurín. "Do you think Nellas is with them?"

"Maybe." Eluréd hoisted himself into the branches of the nearest tree. It was easier, faster, and safer to travel through the branches than to stay on the ground. Elurín followed, and they started to run, flying from branch to branch, swifter than squirrels, and quieter. The trees knew them, and whispered greetings and encouragements as they passed, some even extending and swinging their branches to speed them on their way.

It was twilight when they caught up with Elrond and his people. There were women and some children, and some elderly Men, huddled in the middle, with soldiers surrounding them. They had stopped, but Eluréd saw no signs of encampment. They could not afford to stop and rest for long, with an enemy that preferred to move by night. Eluréd and Elurín crouched in a tree several yards from the nearest guard, who was swaying where he stood, clearly exhausted. "They cannot keep going as they are," Eluréd whispered. "Are any of them unhurt?"

"I can see a few," Elurín replied, squinting. "I don't see Nellas. But there's Elrond, with Celeborn."

Sneaking past the sentries was very easy, for Eluréd and Elurín had learned long ago how to weave the shadows about themselves so that their movements appeared to be nothing more than flickering torchlight or leaves moving in the softest breeze. Elurín slipped away after a short time to take up his own watch, while Eluréd crept closer to Elrond and Celeborn and their captains, to try to learn something more of their situation.

"…go much farther," someone was saying when Eluréd got close enough to hear properly. "Not without a proper rest."

"We can't risk it," Celeborn said. "They're right on our heels. Stopping even this long is a risk." There was a rustle as they unrolled what Eluréd assumed was a map. "What about the High Pass? We can take refuge in the Greenwood."

"It's too far," Elrond said. Eluréd peered through some briers to catch a glimpse of him, shadows from their single torch dancing across his face; he held himself stiffly, like he was hurt, though how he was wounded Eluréd could not tell. "Sauron will overtake us long before we reach it."

"I don't see that we have any choice but to try," said someone else.

"They'll never make it to the High Pass," Elurín said when Eluréd reported what he'd heard. "Elrond is right, it's too far. And even if they did make it, there'd be orcs waiting for them in the mountains."

Eluréd stared up at the mountains, dark silhouettes against the starry sky. "I know where they can go," he said finally. "The river valley. It's much closer than the pass, if I remember right."

They called it the river valley because it was filled with water—tiny rivers and streams, all flowing down, or falling over silver waterfalls, from the Misty Mountains to eventually join the Bruinen. There were pungent pine woods and meadows filled with sweet-smelling wildflowers, too, and the best part was that it was hidden, nearly impossible to find if you didn't already know the way. Over the years Eluréd and Elurín had forged a track down the steep cliffs into the valley. They'd known from the beginning it was important. Maybe this was why.

Elurín nodded slowly. "It would be difficult getting the wounded and the elderly down the path," he said.

"But not impossible. Certainly less difficult than getting them over the mountains to the Greenwood." Eluréd took a breath. "One of us should scout ahead, to make sure of the way. The other should stay back to help hide the trail." It was a difficult thing to suggest. It was an unspoken agreement between them, never to part ways. But here there was not much choice. They were needed in both places.

Elurín took a deep breath. "You go," he said. "I'm going to drop back to see if I can slow the enemy. There's a rock slide just waiting to happen a few miles back."

"Be careful."

"You, too. Don't let any mountains fall on you this time!"

-x-

Eluréd made his way carefully further into the foothills. He moved slower than usual; he'd never come to the valley at night before, and of course everything looked different in the dark. He stayed on the ground, this time, looking for familiar shapes in the rocks; it had been several decades since he and Elurín had last been this way, and even the steadiest of trees would be changed by this time.

It was nearly dawn when he found the overgrown track leading into the hills. Gil-Estel shone overhead in the graying sky as Eluréd came finally to the crest of the hill that led down into the valley. It was just as he remembered it; even so late in the year, the faint scent of flowers drifted up to him, and the sound of flowing water echoed off the hills around him. In that moment, Eluréd wanted nothing more than to descend into the valley and lose himself among the pine trees, where there would be nothing to trouble him.

Instead he turned and made his way back, down out of the hills and southward. In the distance over the trees he could see dark smoke, as Sauron and his monstrous servants continued to destroy everything that lay in their path, whether it was necessary or not. He gritted his teeth, and took to the trees. He knew the way now, by day or by dark.

He met Elurín sitting in a chestnut tree, gathering the ripening nuts. "They'll catch up soon," he said. "I ended up blocking the only path through some hills, entirely by accident."

"A bigger rock slide than you intended?" Eluréd asked.

"Mm. Here they come." Elurín leaned forward as the forefront of Elrond and Celeborn's bedraggled army came into view. It was just after midday, but they looked ready to drop. "They've been on the move since just after you went scouting," Elurín continued in a whisper. "Did you find the valley?"

"Yes. It's not far. They might make it by tonight. If the skies keep clear, the moon should be light enough to make their way down the cliffs."

They fell silent as the clearing below filled with people. Elrond happened to drop his things just below their dangling feet, although he did not look up. They watched him run fingers through his hair and wince as he immediately encountered a mess of tangles. Eluréd and Elurín had only visited Lindon a few times, and never openly, and so they had seen their nephew before only at a distance. Up close it was startling to see so much of Dior in his face—and Lúthien, of course For themselves, Eluréd and Elurín took after Thingol in looks as well as height, except for the dark hair they had inherited from Lúthien and Melian. Elrond was tall as well, of course, but dressed in the silver and blue of Gil-galad beneath his Noldorin armor.

"Well, better reveal ourselves sooner rather than later," Eluréd murmured to Elurín. "Else we might get shot at."

Elurín nodded, and dropped a chestnut, still in its spiky shell. Elrond yelped when it struck the top of his head, and only then did he look up. The startled look on his face would have been comical were it not for the circumstances and the blood and grim smeared across it. "Well met," Elurín said cheerfully. "You're almost there, you know."

"Almost where?" Elrond asked. "Who…?"

Eluréd dropped lightly to the ground; Elurín followed after, bearing his bulging bag of chestnuts. "There is a valley not very far from here," he said. "It's hidden, and difficult to reach—but not impossible. A good place to hide."

"There are no such valleys in this region," Elrond said, although he seemed to doubt his words as he spoke them.

"There is one," Eluréd said. "Will you allow us to show you?" Elrond's expression went instantly from wearily baffled to wary. Eluréd swallowed a sigh. "Bring whoever you like along," he said. "We promise we won't throw you off the cliff!"

It was clear, at least to Eluréd, that Elrond did not much want to follow two strangers into the foothills. But he was also desperate to find a haven for his people. So he called for Celeborn, and leaving someone called Erestor in charge, they followed Eluréd and Elurín. Elurín tossed his bag of chestnuts to a bewildered Erestor before jogging ahead, Eluréd on his heels.

It took longer to get back this time, because Elrond and Celeborn moved more slowly, hindered by exhaustion and heavy armor. "This way," Eluréd said finally, taking a sharp turn between a cluster of hemlock umbels and a large moss-covered boulder. The path wound upwards through brambles and other thick underbrush, and when they finally reached the end of it, at the cliff edge, Elrond nearly tripped and fell over, before Elurín caught him.

"Oh," Celeborn breathed as he joined them.

"How do we get down?" Elrond asked finally, not taking his eyes from the view. Sunlight shone golden on some misty falls, and cast rainbows in others. A nightingale sang nearby.

"There's a path just there." Elurín pointed. "It's a bit tricky; we're the only one's who have made it, and we don't often come here. But it will serve. Especially since you are on foot."

"We lost our horses," Elrond murmured absently, as he went to examine the path. He went down, maybe halfway, before returning. "Celeborn?"

"It will work, if we can get everyone here in time," Celeborn said. He looked at Eluréd and Elurín, and then looked again, narrowing his eyes slightly. "Thank you," he said, although he sounded more suspicious than grateful.

"You are most welcome," Elurín said. "And you have a little time," he added, baring his teeth in a grin, "there was a rock slide down the mountain earlier today. It blocked the only real road up the mountainside. I imagine the Enemy is rather frustrated at the moment."


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment