Gildor Inglorion by hennethgalad

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Gildor meets Finrod's architects.

Major Characters: Gildor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 4, 244
Posted on 4 December 2016 Updated on 4 December 2016

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

Gildor Inglorion.-

  Gildor entered the crowded pavillion and the assembled elves fell silent. He unrolled a large map and pinned it to the wall behind him then turned to face the others. 

  'Firstly, thank you all for coming today, Finrod will be honoured to see so many celebrated builders and architects here. I know you were hoping for news of the site of his capital, but there has been no decision on that issue so far.'

  There were quiet groans. The builders of Tirion and Alqualonde were here, eager for new projects. Gildor smiled to himself, they were not going to be pleased with his news. 

   'He would like a small villa, here ' he pointed to the mouth of the River Sirion on the map, 'Hidden in the forest of Arvernien, but with a sea view from the upstairs balcony. There are only two specifications for the villa, balconies all around on both floors, and a pool inside the villa. With a roof, large enough to swim in.' 

  There was a silence, then someone said 'A villa. One villa...'

  Gildor nodded. A young builder raised a hand, Gildor pointed at him, he said

   'But the defences... watchtowers...'

   Gildor nodded again 'Yes, those things will be commissioned in due course, but the locations have yet to be determined. Indeed, the primary purpose of this expedition will be the establishment of a fortified supply chain down the length of the River Narog. From what we know so far, the land beyond the confluence with the Sirion is marshy and unsuitable for fortification.'

 
  A voice interrupted him 'Hence Arvernien.'

  Gildor nodded 'Quite so. There will be a village in Arvernien, a small port, and with all the forts to build on the route, there will be enough to keep everyone busy. There will be a tower on the coast' he pointed to the headland between Brithombar and Eglarest 'Here, but nothing will be decided until he has seen the site himself. Does anyone have any questions regarding the villa, which is the immediate concern ?' 

   There was another silence, then the most famous water-engineer, who had build prize-winning fountains, said quietly 'Just a pool ? For swimming in ? No fountains at all?'

   A ripple of laughter crossed the room. Gildor sighed

  'My friends, you know King Finrod, he prefers the peaceful life, he is a musician at heart. He does not like ostentatious display, nor does he like causing difficulties for people. He would have it simple to make life easier for you. But you are artists; and as his steward I feel empowered to request that you make his "simple villa" as beautiful as you know how, as artistically as you know how, and with as many fountains as you think necessary. Which reminds me, there is word that these hills' he pointed to the range midway down the Narog 'Contain veins of marble, which we can ship downriver to Arvernien for the port and the villa. The cliffs on the coast are good enough rock for building the village. Finally, given, effectively, unlimited numbers of workers, how quickly can the villa be built?'

   The serious-minded architects and builders looked at each other, calculating; unlimited labour, but marble to be quarried...

  Finally one ventured 'Two months ?'

   Gildor examined their faces 'Do any of you believe you could be swifter than that ?'

   There was much shaking of heads 'Not if you want art.' said another.

  Gildor pursed his lips 'Very well; the advance party leaves in the morning, they will find and clear the site, and the rest of us will follow in a day or so. The idea is that Finrod will travel slowly, inspecting fortification sites en route, and that the villa will be finished by the time they arrive. Can this be done ?' 

  The architect stood up and walked over to the map 'It all depends how quickly Finrod moves. If he travels five leagues a day he could arrive in a month. But if he pauses for a few days in each place, or wanders around, then we can have it all ready for him.'

  Gildor nodded 'He will not be hurrying. There will be several thousand elves following; more than twenty thousand volunteered, but he has refused most of them, there will be just his own people for Arvernien and the forts, more will be welcome later, doubtless. So, there will be slow progress downstream, with much 'wandering about' as he establishes his realm.'

  A younger architect raised his hand 'But sir, what about Glorfindel?'

  Gildor raised his eyebrows 'Well ?' he said.

   The architect looked around but every face was carefully expressionless. The architect felt his courage ebb away 'Um... I... Will he be joining the expedition ?' he asked feebly.

   Gildor suppressed a smile 'Yes. Glorfindel will be joining the expedition. Finrod is building the villa to please him. As indeed you would expect from a newly-wed.'

 

 


Chapter End Notes

more Laurëlot


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.