Into The Woods by Grundy

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This started out as 'Angrod and Galadriel talking on their way to Doriath for the first time' but may turn into more, thus me not marking it complete.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Angrod, Aegnor, and Artanis have been sent to make contact with their great uncle Elwë. None of them really know what to expect.

Major Characters: Aegnor, Angrod, Galadriel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: New Year's Resolution, Strength and Beauty

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 812
Posted on 2 February 2018 Updated on 2 February 2018

This fanwork is a work in progress.

The Flower That Blooms In Adversity

Read The Flower That Blooms In Adversity

Angarato glanced over his shoulder.

Aikanaro smirked slightly, as if to ask ‘what did you expect?’ Angarato glared at his younger brother, but got a wide-eyed look in return that made it clear this problem was all his.

Artanis was still sulking.

She’d been in a foul mood ever since they left Mithrim. She had no desire to accompany him and Aikanaro on their journey to their great-uncle’s lands, and even less to be away from her oldest brother, Irissë, and Ambarussa.

Even now, almost to the borders of Elwë’s kingdom, she was not happy – despite being surrounded by so much novelty. They have not seen trees, birds, or flowers like these before. It would be more like Artë to take interest.

Ordinarily, Angarato would have waited her mood out, and hoped that Ingo would jolly her out of it. But Ingo wasn’t here, and honestly, he didn’t really expect Ingo would be able to do much with this. Not when it was his fault.

Artanis was not happy about what she’d interpreted as exile from the rest of the Noldor.

Angarato sighed, and nodded at Aiko to take the lead – and to keep an eye on Artaresto. If nothing else, his sister should be mollified that she wasn’t the only one being sent somewhere safer.

I hardly think classing her with her barely of age nephew will improve matters, Aiko warned.

Angarato suppressed a snort as he dropped back to walk with Artanis.

She pretended to ignore him for several minutes before sighing and leaning into him. Whether she cared to admit it or not, keeping up her outrage this long was tiring. And it wasn’t as if Ingo was the only one she was angry with.

Angarato hugged her, and kept a companionable arm around her shoulders.

This is not a punishment, you know, he told her.

He chose to keep to osanwë rather than verbal speech because he was not sure if they were being observed by the Sindar yet – he expected they would be at some point, and he wanted to present a united and above all, peaceful front.

Not to mention, he didn’t think it was the best idea to make the handful of retainers with them – equal parts security and bringing the numbers of their group to a level that would have been considered an acceptable retinue for a royal diplomat – privy to the fault lines that still ran through the House of Finwë.

He focused on Artanis and caught a cloud of simmering anger, unhappiness, hurt, and…

Ingo would have come himself if he could, he said soothingly.

He’d often envied Ingo and Artë’s closeness, but if anything, it seemed to be working against their eldest brother this time.  She’d have gotten over it quicker if had been him who had insisted she join the delegation to Doriath.

He’s hoping to keep you safely away from Turkafinwë, Angarato added, perfectly willing to offer his cousin up as the scapegoat. It wouldn’t much matter if Artë blamed him for this, given how furious she still was with him for Alqualondë.

Come to it, Angarato was pretty furious with Turkafinwë about Alqualondë too. The only reason he was playing along with keeping Artanis away from him was that he didn’t want his little sister doing any more kinslaying.

I could stay away from him just fine where I was, Artë sniffed. You all might have noticed I have neither sought him out nor killed him.

Yet, Angarato couldn’t resist pointing out. We’ve all been wondering how long your self-restraint would hold.

Then you are being ridiculous, Artë shot back. Anyway, I would not kill him with Curvo around. For some reason he actually likes the great lummox.

I still don’t see why coming on this expedition bothers you so much, Angarato said reasonably. You haven’t done anything like this before. You might actually like grandfather’s brother and his wife. And Elwë has a daughter…

He trailed off.

Angarato had no good idea what to expect of his mother’s cousin. He knew she was the daughter of a maia, the only such being any Noldo had ever heard of. As Elwë’s child, she must be at least somewhat like other elves. But she must be somewhat like the maiar as well, and he had no idea what that would look like in person. He wasn’t even sure if she was their age, their parents’ age, or perhaps older still.

He hoped Artë would be curious.

I would rather have stayed with Irissë, Artanis grumbled. A cousin who has known nothing of me all my life needs me rather less than the cousin who has known me since before either of us saw the light!

Angarato winced. This was the opposite of helping.

If you will not hear that you might find it interesting, at least believe that your presence will be helpful, he said, trying a different tack. If the situation were reversed, if they abruptly appeared on the shores of Araman, what would we think if they sent only neri?

We probably would have thought that they were properly cautious if we thought about it at all, Artanis said drily. For all the talk of what little difference there is between neri and nissi, we certainly don’t act as if we believe it. Or is it only princesses who must be decorative and useless?

Angarato gaped at her.

Decorative I might grant you, you’re certainly prettier than Aiko or I, he said finally. But I have no idea how you conclude yourself to be useless here.

Artanis looked thoroughly skeptical.

Really? What vital tasks required me here? I was useful in Mithrim. There was no reason to send me along for this. There’s nothing I can do here except stand around looking pretty.

Angarato sighed.

He knew half the reason Artanis had been so ready to leave Tirion had been her utter frustration with the future ordained for her as a princess of the Noldor – marriage, attending social functions, and perhaps becoming patron of some royal society or another. The youngest grandchild of Finwë had been much sought after by the noblest young men of the Noldor for her beauty. But she had wanted more.

Do not judge too quickly, he chided. You, Artanis Nerwen, are clever enough to find more to do on a diplomatic mission such as this than merely ‘look pretty’.

If anyone had ever thought that was all his sister was capable of, the Helcaraxë should have disabused them of that notion. It had been her strength that carried her and so many others through that pitiless trek over the Ice – strength, and courage, and determination to do whatever was necessary to take care of her people.

He, for one, would never look at her again without seeing that strength. It was as if they had all thought her some hothouse flower, but had discovered that the same flower could still bloom in the fierceness of Araman and the cold of the uttermost north.

Assuming, Angarato continued, I do not find something else for you to do once I know more of what we’re doing besides ‘find our great-uncle and speak with him’, at the very least I will need you to help me learn about him and his people. You realize we know nothing more than his name, his wife’s name, his daughter’s name, and roughly where to look for him?

You only just realized this now? Artanis asked drily.

No, but I was hoping you’d start thinking about that instead of how irritated you are with every single brother and cousin you have not named Irissë or Ambarussa.

I am also not irritated with Curvo, she conceded. There was a pause. Not very irritated with Curvo.

Does Uncle Nolo also come in for his share of irritation? Angarato asked warily.

Why? Was he also privy to this decision? Artanis demanded.

Angarato paused, then decided that as his uncle was at a safe distance…

It was his idea, he admitted. He probably would have sent Irissë had he not worried how Elwë might react to being approached by outsiders who are not close kin.

Another voice piped in.

Also, there was some concern about how long Elwë’s kingdom would stand with the two of you within his borders without parental supervision.

Both of them glared at Aikanaro, who grinned.

Sorry. I’m pretty much covering Resto’s ears here, but I couldn’t help myself. But really, no one in their right mind would send you and Irissë together on a diplomatic mission. Except maybe to Angband. Small wonder Finno thought he’d better go after Maitimo before either of you took it into your head.

Angarato was all set to tear into his idiot brother, until he realized that Artanis was actually smiling.

Why? You doubt we would have succeeded? she asked.

No, you’d have brought him back. And he’d probably still have two hands. You’d have levelled Thangorodrim instead of cutting the hand off.

Angarato suppressed a snicker, because he could almost see that happening. The two of them would be standing there arguing about how to free him, Maitimo would suggest cutting the hand off at the wrist, both girls would dismiss it as a ridiculous idea, and at some point Artë would come to the perfectly logical conclusion that the only alternative was to level the mountain.  The only question was how surprised Morgoth would be when his mountain collapsed on top of him.

Besides, I’m glad to have you on this trip. I need an ally, Aiko continued blithely. Otherwise being the oldest might go to Ango’s head.

The two of you spend time together all the time, Artë pointed out in amusement.

Not with him in charge! Aiko retorted.

You are both silly, she told him, fondness rippling through her words.

Yes, we are, but you’re smiling now.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I have to admit that I've not thought much about this episode in the Silm! I am guilty of assuming Artanis would have been content--even happy?--to go. You've made me see the episode differently, as something that she might very well have perceived as diverting her from her own great goals that brought her to Middle-earth to make nice to the Doriathrim when, as she points out, she was actually useful in Mithrim.

I love this line: For all the talk of what little difference there is between neri and nissi, we certainly don’t act as if we believe it.

Oh burn! A nice dig at "Laws and Customs," which proclaims gender equality and then thoroughly dismantles it!

I am fascinated by your verse, too, which makes me realize how behind I am in reading your work. I'm particularly interested in the relationship between Artanis and the younger sons of Feanor ... although I suppose that makes sense, given that they could have been around the same age? (Depending on how you resolve that eternal question of character ages in the House of Finwe. ;)

I hadn't thought about it until I started writing this, but once I did think about it, I realized she probably wanted to stay at Mithrim. Not only did she have her own goals, Mithrim was where everything interesting with the Noldor was going on, not to mention where her nearest and dearest were. 

Tolkien did write that the neri and nissi were equal, but it doesn't seem to have translated into practice in Beleriand, and I feel like both Galadriel and Aredhel would both have called their kin on it at least once. (I don't think it's an accident they both ended up marrying Sindarin men.)

No rush. :) In my verse, Galadriel and Aredhel are the same age and besties pretty much from begetting on. Ambarussa were only slightly older, so the four of them grew up together, roaming around terrorizing Aman and getting into (and out of) all manner of trouble.  

This is an entertaining and unique take on this scenario. Like Dawn noted in her comment, I like the dig at Tolkien and Laws and Customs on the woman question. One of my favorite tropes in The Silmarillion fandom is the contradictory intersection among the Finweans of familal affection, political differences, and who is closer to whom and why. Also, do not often get to see the interaction between Galadriel and her brothers aside from Finrod.

Thank you!

I couldn't help myself with the dig - it seems like Tolkien said it, but never really thought about how equality would look in practice.

I think Galadriel and her other brothers don't interact as much because they're not around - after Thingol's huff about Alqualondë, they head north and we don't hear of them spending significant time anywhere else prior to the Battle of the Sudden Flame. So we're not used to picturing them together in Beleriand. (I mean to do more with this!)