Waiting by Zdenka

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for Back to Middle-earth Month 2019, for the prompts Color Burst 3 - Yellow: Butter (G48) and Emotions: Apprehension (O68).

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Dor-lómin awaits word from the battle. Aerin makes piecrust.

Major Characters: Aerin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, General

Challenges: B2MeM 2019

Rating: General

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 150
Posted on 15 March 2019 Updated on 15 March 2019

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

Summer is ending, and still there is no word from the battle. The house has grown quieter; Rían no longer sings and barely speaks, seeming to draw into herself. Aerin rubs butter and flour together with her fingertips to make piecrust. If she makes Rían’s favorite pear tart, perhaps she can coax a brief smile.

The wind from the North begins to turn chill. Morwen stalks about the house, her expression forbidding and her tongue sharper. She ignores Aerin’s tentative suggestions that she sit and rest. A nourishing broth will be good for her and the child, Aerin thinks. She plucks sprigs of thyme for flavor and breathes in the fragrant scent.

Aerin is afraid. For her father, her cousins, her friends. Absurd, to think she could defend Dor-lómin with soup, or hold off Morgoth’s armies with piecrust. But if she kneads the bread, it keeps her hands from shaking.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.