The Fairest Vessels That Ever Sailed by Lindariel

| | |

Chapter 8: All Threads and Cloths

Alatáriel writes to her brother.

This chapter began as a response to the September 2019 challenge In Rare Form, and the form I chose was Epistolary.  Better late than never finished and shared!


To Findaráto Ingoldo comes loving greeting from his sister Artanis Nerwen.

Nowë Ciryatan, lord of the Falathrim, intends to send messages to his distant kinfolk in the North. He has invited me to send likewise to my kin who, we hear tell, have settled there. Dearest of brothers, I trust his messenger finds you well.

I am living in the southern port of Eglarest, in the country of the Falathrim. Teleporno and I crossed the Sea in the ship we built together, arriving here just as Anor first rose, four Laer ago as the Falathrim now reckon time. The lord of the Falathrim, who is called Círdan in their tongue, is a close relative of Teleporno. He is also related to Amilyë, although I still have not puzzled out quite how. He has been very kind to us, and we are safe and well.

Little news of the great events in the North has reached this southern shore. The Falathrim do not choose to fare widely on land, and their ships are too small for long voyages, although more on that anon. I have heard many of our family have overcome great trials in order to arrive on these shores, and I have heard also of some who have fallen to dire misfortune. But I have so many unanswered questions! Are these terrible stories true? What has become of Ataryo and Amilyë? Are they safely here in Endor, or did they stay in Aman? I dare not even consider any other possibilities. I beg you send me news of them, and of our brothers Anga and Aita, and dear Amarië.

The Falathrim were of the Nelyar, and Nowë was one of their leaders on the Great March before their kindred was split into those who left for Aman and those who stayed in Endor. Like their Telerin kinfolk in Aman, they are a seashore folk, happy sailing the firths in their tiny craft. But their lord aspires to more. Ever he has driven himself to learn greater toamaitalë. Accordingly, Teleporno and I are teaching him, his shipwrights, and his sailmakers what we know of Telerin skills. As yeast works a vat of new mead, so has our knowledge quickened Círdan. Together we are laying the ground for a host of larger, more seaworthy ships for his people. It is gratifying work.

Most of my own efforts so far have focused on the creation of better sails. I have succeeded in upgrading their workshops, streamlining their production, and improving their tools. The Falathrim have a curious tradition of dividing the labor of sailmaking -- and all their other clothworking -- between the nissi and the neri. The nissi are held to be the best at textile work, and indeed their skills at spinning and twining dazzle me. Yet they weave all garments and household textiles on groundlooms. Sailweaving is held to be the province of the neri, and for this they use an upright frame loom. I have introduced the Telerin sailweaving loom to them. The neri took to it right away, and some of the nissi have also become quite proficient even though they balked at first because the Telerin loom is very similar to the looms of the neri here. It is only Círdan's burning eagerness for bigger and better sails that has them respecting me when I encourage the nissi to try the new loom. One day, when the work of enhancing the fleet has been accomplished, I shall introduce them to the Noldorin loom. When I am tired and frustrated, I imagine that day and smile.

The other thing I do when I am tired and frustrated is to turn my attention to learning about all the new and different plants here in Endor. You might not believe it, my brother, but it is very pleasant to spend as much time studying the olvar as I have done lately. There is so much great beauty here, and nobody knows much yet about the new plants that sprang up at the rising of Anor. It is much like being back among the Yavannildi, although I miss the Lady's guidance dreadfully. Círdan says the Queen of Doriath knows the most of anyone in Beleriand about the natural world. I should like very much to be able to learn from her some day.

Teleporno sends his best wishes.

I beg you send word to me quickly and ease my worry about our family.

Ever your loving sister,

Alatáriel

 


Chapter End Notes

toamaitalë (Q) -- the art and science of woodsmithing

Laer (S) -- the season of summer, which has no known plural

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment