First Blood Spilled by Rhapsody

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the OSA Drabble challenge #29: First loss.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Fëanor races home to Formenos after the news of his father's death. What goes through him when he arrives on the scene?

Major Characters: Fëanor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death, Expletive Language

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 100
Posted on 25 May 2007 Updated on 25 May 2007

This fanwork is complete.

First Blood Spilled

Read First Blood Spilled

It had been his first. Nienna explained to him the meaning of Death a while ago when he sought council in bitterness. But this was different. Looking down on the lifeless body of his father, Fëanor fought down his anger and pain that tore him apart. The Valar had held him captive in their councils, displaying their greed, lusting for the jewels themselves. Talk, but no deeds. Kneeling down, he gathered the broken body in his arms. The fire flared up inside him and soon, soon it consumed his spirit. Repeating the words once more, he cried hoarsely: “Curse him!”


Chapter End Notes

Inspiration came from:

The Silmarillion, Chapter 9: Of the Flight of the Noldor

For they told how a blind Darkness came northward, and in the midst walked some power for which there was no name, and the Darkness issued from it. But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark. And they told that Melkor had broken the stronghold of Formenos, and taken all the Jewels of the Noldor that were hoarded in that place; and the Silmarils were gone.
Then Fëanor rose, and lifting up his hand before Manwë he cursed Melkor, naming him Morgoth, the Black Foe of the World; and by that name only was he known to the Eldar ever after. And he cursed also the summons of Manwë and the hour in which he came to Taniquetil, thinking in the madness of his rage and grief that had he been at Formenos his strength would have availed more than to be slain also, as Melkor had purposed. Then Fëanor ran from the Ring of Doom, and fled into the night; for his father was dearer to him than the Light of Valinor or the peerless works of his hands; and who among sons, of Elves or of Men, have held their fathers of greater worth?


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.