The Son of Curufin by Caranthol

| | |

Chapter 3: Revelations

Disclaimer: See chapter 1.


Chapter 3: Revelations

 

Celebrimbor and Curufin did not talk about any oaths the next day. Instead, Curufin greeted his son as friendly as ever when he saw him. But something had changed: Curufin did not speak with Celebrimbor as much as before and then they conversed mainly of Celebrimbor’s craft and trivial things. Curufin did not even hint of his plans to his son, but Celebrimbor nonetheless saw that something was stressing him. Lúthien was still held in the chamber of Celegorm, and no others than Celegorm and Curufin were allowed to speak with her. Even Celebrimbor was forbidden to enter the rooms when Celegorm opened the door. At first the matter was kept secret.

 

But after two weeks Celegorm finally made his intentions clear. He publicly sent messengers to Thingol to deliver his proposal to take Lúthien as his wife. Preparations for a wedding feast were begun, and the people of Nargothrond wondered greatly. Celebrimbor did not believe for a moment that Lúthien had consented with free will, but there was nothing he could do without breaking his relations to his father and uncle. With a heavy mind he listened the talk in the feast halls, not answering the questions directed at him.

 

Only one thing lifted his mood. During these spring weeks many of the sons of the lords of Nargothrond talked to him and tried to befriend him. There were even some hints that some of the councillors would not have been averse seeing him as their son-in-law. He wondered at this change, for he had not had many friends in Nargothrond, being just one of the Noldorin refugees housed in there. But he was delighted nonetheless, when one of his new friends named Ovorluin asked him to teach him the craft of making precious stones.

 

------

 

They sat before Celebrimbor’s work-table, using a piece of glass for practice. Celebrimbor adviced:

 

“Now, slowly, do not strike so hard. It is not a piece of iron and you are not a blacksmith. Carefully, only little taps. Chisel only a small chip at a time.”

 

Ovorluin tapped the head of the little chisel too hard. The glass broke to pieces, and Celebrimbor frowned.

 

“Do not be offended but you should remain a bard. No practice can make you a good silversmith or jewel maker. Your hands are better on the lute strings.”

 

Ovorluin only laughed good-naturedly and rose from the table. He walked to a large chair and sat in it, taking a fine lute in his hands.

 

“Perhaps you are right. I will not hinder your work any more. Let us talk while I play some lays.”

 

Ovorluin’s fingers danced on the strings and a song of Valinor started. Celebrimbor took his tools and began to work. With delicate hands and careful taps of his hammer he started to set a gem to a silver necklace. They talked of music for a while. Celebrimbor paused every now and then, bending little silver claws around the jewel. Finally Ovorluin said:

 

“I enjoy of your company, but I had also another matter in my mind when I asked to visit you. Could you stop your work for a while?”

 

Celebrimbor looked up, asking:

 

“Tell me what it is. I help you gladly if I can.”

 

Ovorluin slowly played a few chords before he spoke:

 

“Could you deliver a message to your father? My father sent me to say this, but I am of same mind. My family wants Curufin know that we fully support him.”

 

Celebrimbor was puzzled.

 

“Support him in what?”

“Are you testing me? In his plans, of course! Orodreth is a good leader, but too indecisive for times like this. Finrod is in the dungeons of Gorthaur and will never return. My father and I think that a strong ruler should reign in Nargothrond. And who could be better than two sons of Fëanor, known for their skill and valour?”

 

Celebrimbor was alarmed and rose from his seat, trying to calm himself.

 

“I will tell your message to him. It is perhaps better if I do it now. Farewell for a time!”

 

Ovorluin bowed a goodbye to him and left. Celebrimbor waited for a few moments and then made his way to Curufin’s door.

 

------

 

With a nervous hand Celebrimbor knocked and after his father had opened entered the room without even greeting.

 

“Father, what are you planning? Ovorluin just came to me and said that he and his family will support you. He even talked of you as the future ruler of Nargothrond. What does this mean?”

 

Curufin quickly recovered from his surprise and answered calmly:

 

“I do not know what you are speaking of. If Ovorluin wants to express his good-will towards me, I will accept it. But it is a riddle to me why he has thought that I would want the throne.”

 

Celebrimbor was now angered.

 

“Father, for once I want that you speak to me openly. Have I not been always honest to you? I have not deserved lies and secrets, not even from you!”

 

Curufin shrugged.

 

“I forgive you your insulting words for I have not always been clear when speaking to you. It is true: My goal is the crown. With Orodreth on throne, the fall of Nargothrond is inevitable.”

“Would you rebel against our host? Is that how you thank him?”

 

Curufin laid his hand on Celebrimbor’s shoulder, looking him deep in the eyes. Celebrimbor recoiled a little, shocked at the fire in Curufin’s gaze. In his father’s eyes there burned ambition, greed and hatred. Curufin spoke:

 

“Why are you so cold? If I attain my goal it will benefit you too. Imagine it, you could be the heir for a mighty kingdom. Orodreth is a weakling, but I and Celegorm could make Nargothrond great, so that even Morgoth must fear us! When we have this realm, it is time to bind all the kingdoms of the Noldor together, under our rule. After all, we are of the oldest house of the Noldor.”

 

Celebrimbor exclaimed:

 

“Beware, for this is a work of your accursed Oath! Remember the words of Mandos!”

 

Curufin started to pace up and down the floor, speaking impatiently:

 

“You cannot understand this matter. You did not participate in the Oath, and it troubles you not. But I, I called everlasting Darkness upon me if I fail to fulfil my vow. What could be better course to reclaim the Silmarils than to forge an alliance of all the Noldor? If we could unite, Morgoth would know no peace in his black mind! Do not try to teach me!”

 

Celebrimbor was not convinced:

 

“No, you are wrong. If you usurp the crown you will only sow dissension between the Noldor. Must it again be said that the sons of Fëanor are greedy and treacherous? No others than your brothers would join you, if you steal the crown of Orodreth.”

 

Curufin waved his hand irritably.

 

“I should have known this! You always have objections and reservations when you should act. Where is the courage of the House of Fëanor in your blood? I will not speak of this with you again. My plans are ripe and I will execute them, despite of you! You will thank me when you rule with me and your uncle. Now go!”

 

Celebrimbor turned and walked out, grieved and afraid.

 

------

 

Celebrimbor could not sleep that evening, but rose and went outside the halls. He walked to a little hill some two miles from Nargothrond. He sat on the grass and looked around. It was midnight, and the moon had risen. There was not a sound, even the wind was still. The silver rays kissed the trees and meadows below him, Narog flowing peacefully southwards.

 

But the sight could not lift Celebrimbor’s spirits. He leaned his head on his hands and thought hard. What should he do? Should he warn Orodreth? But then, his father was perhaps a traitor but still dear to him. A rash word could drive Curufin to open rebellion or get Orodreth to take some violent action. Celebrimbor could not bear the thought of his father punished. The image of Curufin leading an armed attempt to take the crown was also revolting. Was not one Kinslaying enough? It would only serve to bind the Noldor tighter to their Doom. There were no good choices, for all actions Celebrimbor could take would lead only to bloodshed and grief.

 

Suddenly raised his head, for a faint rustle came from behind him. He rebuked himself that he had taken only his dagger with him. If there was a spy of Morgoth, a wolf or an Orc, he would have no chance. He rose nimbly and turned around, drawing his dagger. But then he sheathed it again, breathing deeply in relief. He exclaimed:

 

“Huan! You startled me. But what are you doing here, without Celegorm?”

 

The hound only stared at him. Celebrimbor gazed around, patting Huan, and saw a figure among the deepest shadows of trees. Stepping closer, he cried:

 

“Uncle! How come have you come to hunt in this hour?”

 

The figure turned and Celebrimbor saw that it was not Celegorm. It was Lúthien, again clad in her shadowy cloak. She seemed to be afraid, and tried to leave. But Celebrimbor stepped forwards, gripping her arm. In amazement he said:

 

“Am I dreaming? Or has my uncle relented and released you?”

 

She answered:

 

“Neither, for I escaped with the help of Huan. Do not hinder me, for I must go to save Beren! If you have a noble heart, let me go and wish success to me. But if not, take even pity on me and do not alert your uncle.”

 

Celebrimbor let her arm.

 

“So it is as I thought, and you had not accepted his proposal. But hear me, he has sent messages to Doriath, asking your hand from Thingol. Your father must be told the truth!”

“I have not time, for haste is needed. But if you are as good as your words and bearing, send him a message, and you will have my gratitude.”

 

Celebrimbor looked downwards.

 

“I will do what I can, but my father will know of it. Perhaps I am a coward, but I have not the courage nor will to stand openly against him.”

 

He raised his head and went on:

 

“But do not fear, I will not tell Celegorm or my father of this. Let them discover it for themselves. I am glad you have escaped from their clutches. Go in peace, and may the Valar protect you on the way!”

 

Lúthien smiled.

 

“Wise and kind is your heart, Celebrimbor, it seems. But do not be angry if I make sure that you cannot betray me until it is too late for them to chase me.” Celebrimbor was puzzled.

“How would you do that?”

 

Lúthien stepped a bit farther.

 

“Like this.”

 

She cast her enchanted cloak on Celebrimbor’s face, singing softly. The song was like that of nightingales, bright like sunshine, yet dreamlike and soothing. Its words urged Celebrimbor to cast all his worries aside and wander to sleep. Of rest they spoke, and of sweet silence. He tried to fight against the spell, but it was too strong. He fell gently on the fragrant grass in deep slumber.

 

 


Chapter End Notes

Read and review, please.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment