Heresy by Marta

| | |

Notes


EtymOnline tells us about the word "heresy":

from L. hæresis, "school of thought, philosophical sect," used by Christian writers for "unorthodox sect or doctrine," from Gk. hairesis "a taking or choosing," from haireisthai "take, seize," middle voice of hairein "to choose," of unknown origin. […]Heretic (c.1330) is ult. from Gk. hairetikos "able to choose," the verbal adj. of hairein.

For many people (at least historically) it has a negative connotation of holding the wrong opinion; but it can also point to people who have the strength of character to choose what they will believe and how it will guide their actions. Even within a religious tradition, doctrine carries with it a certain element of interpretation, and those accepting that tradition have the choice to passively accept the institution's interpretation or to read it for yourself according to your circumstances. I think the elder two Sons of Fëanor, perhaps more than any other characters in Tolkien, exemplify the importance of this choice.

Chiaroscuro is an Italian term for the contrast between light and dark in painting. I do try to avoid modern and non-English terms needlessly, but here I chose to use a technical term from one of those other languages. I'm sure the Elves have an equivalent expression.

The phrase "an oath taken even by the name of Ilúvatar, calling the Everlasting Dark upon him if he kept it not" is adapted from "Of the Flight of the Noldor," The Silmarillion.)


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment