Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I like this piece a lot.  You do a good job here of showing that repentence wouldn't automatically equate to forgiveness; Maglor can't undo his past harms, even if he's sorry for having committed them, and likewise those he's harmed can't simply purge their own memories of the past and start fresh with him.  It may be a 'better' outcome in the long run than the one Tolkien shows us in the Silm, but it's still going to be a difficult and painful one for for everyone involved.  

I'll echo Ithilwen because I was struck by exactly the same theme: forgiveness is not a given when one repents of one's wrongs.   You've articulated this concept very well; Elrond's perspective -- and Elros' turning away from his foster father -- drive the point home.

Although it's heartbreaking to watch Maglor suffer alone and in pain albeit in the peaceful setting of Lorien, still, he comes across with the element of strength which suggests that in time, he will pull through.

Nicely done, Indy!

*happy sigh* Another good Maglor AU. I can see this happening. I'm glad that the Valar tried to be merciful, but of course, Maglor had to face what he'd done. But with the kindness of the Valar, it'd be easier to find healing rather than wandering alone.

*grins* I\'m glad you liked it!\r\n\r\nWell, as merciful as the Valar can be. Their giving Maglor the Silmaril was just another way of defusing the Oath, and since they couldn\'t kill him, they did what they could to contain him. Of course, it *is* also a time for reflection and such, but in my mind, he\'s pretty much imprisoned for a good long time. (Wandering alone, I believe, has the same purpose, and I think it may have been easier on him, but that\'s obviously just my opinion. :))

A tale that is both heart-breaking and comforting. It seems that whatever choice he makes would lead to misery but at least there is hope of redemption for the last Feanorian. I think having him throw the last Silmaril into the sea is a nice touch.  Very nicely done.