Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Hi Indy! I confess, I couldn't wait, so I read it myself. :-) I absolutely love this perspective you have taken with this. I wasn't sure how you would go about it, but I really like that you took the perspective of a member of the Faithful right before her wedding day. I loved the conversation bewteen Mestie and her mother. I imagine it must have been very difficult for the Faithful during the rule of Ar-Gimilzor, and I love how you illustrated that struggle throuh Mestie as she prepared for her big day. I do hope she and her husband will exchange the Sindarin vows in private. :-)

I really like Mestie, and I hope you will write her more. I also loved that you picked the family business being a fabric store. I was grinning over that. Yes, I would love to see more of Mestie.

This was wonderful, short, but very potent and raises lots of questions about how fr is too far for a leader to go.

Great job! "hugs"

*grins* I\'m flattered.

I\'m really glad you like the perspective. It\'s always a risk writing a fic consisting solely of OCs, and even more risky when the point-of-view character is a woman.

I think the only time it was worse was during Pharazôn\'s reign, and that\'s because they had to worry about being sacrificed.

They did. :)

This is the first of a duology, and the second one should be posted tomorrow. *laughs* I picked something that could be easily have been in the family for generations and could be for generations more. Since people will always need fabric, it seemed logical.

Yes, it does indeed raise uncomfortable questions.

Thank you!

This is short, but you've crammed quite a lot into a short piece. You've got the Faithful trying to adjust to the new laws and trying to sort out what's allowed and what's forbidden (is it okay for an elf to be at the wedding or not?), some of them leaving Numenor to seek safer/friendlier homes (Lond Daer), and finally a bride-to-be feeling as if her wedding somehow isn't quite right if the vows aren't spoken in the correct language.

That last point almost calls to mind some of the feelings of long time Catholics after Vatican II, when the altar was suddenly turned around and the Latin Mass went away.

Nicely done, Indy, I enjoyed this!

That was a lovely--and fun-- piece. Rebellious young people are awesome! ;-) It must have been so frustratring for the Faithful to see their way of life so altered, and I really eenjoyed this glimpse into how they went about it. Great job!

That was a lovely--and fun-- piece. Rebellious young people are awesome! ;-) It must have been so frustratring for the Faithful to see their way of life so altered, and I really eenjoyed this glimpse into how they went about it. Great job!

What a wonderful brief glimpse in the life of a 'normal' Numenorean with her hopes, dreams and worries. A new law is in place and yet she tries to see if there is a way around it, it feels as if we'd also do if we can.

 This bit:

“With the king acting as he is, I cannot help but fear.” She stood up and kissed my forehead. “If necessary, leave Númenor and move near us. It’s safer there.” 

It leaves me wishing for more! Very concisely written with an impact!

The normality of her life is what really makes this story: too many Númenorean fics focus on the court and/or the nobility, and I wanted to do something different. I\'m glad you think it had an impact, because I was worried about that with such a short piece.\r\n\r\nAs for wishing for more, this is the first in a duology. :)

An excellent tidbit, Indy.  I love fics  with OCs of any sort really and those that take a look at the 'common folk' of Middle-earth cultures are particularly appealing.  This certainly fits the bill.  I also like the implication that Númenóreans are leaving their homeland and fleeing persecution and an increasingly tumultuous society.

 I'm hoping that this little gem might just be the seed crystal for a larger work. :^) 

Thank you! I\'m glad you like the \"common folk\" OCs, because I haven\'t seen too many of them, which is a shame. I can\'t imagine that Númenóreans wouldn\'t flee, Faithful and not. Civil unrest has always caused it, for those who can afford to leave.

Not unless you count \"Falling Stars.\" I have no desire to further work with these characters-- I\'ve told their story. :)

Indeed, a very thought-provoking and well written glimpse at the everyday life of young people that were carefree and sometimes rebellious, but most of all they wanted to be happy and live their lives as they wished. Thank you for sharing :)