Lúthien Tinúviel


Oh. ooops! I forgot that I am not getting notifications of comments these days! Sorry I did not thank you. It took a lot out of me. I was pretty much warming up to the topic and no longer being totally neurotic about it by the time I got part one done. Now I have to get back in saddle and see where I find myself within part 2! Thanks so much for the support!

You really outdid yourself on this one. This story is so fragmented and complicated it's s difficult to detail But you managed it beautifully. Ive always loved Huan with his talking and prophesies and wolf killing. But, of course, Luthien is the star of the tale. I regret that Tolkien pulled back from the magical, fairytale elements in his published writings. I like that aspect.

I always enjoy the sources you pull for these bios and the various elements of the story you give me new perspectives on.

Thank you so much! I am so glad you enjoyed it. Thank you also for copy checking various drafts. The length of it seemed overwhelming at times. 

<i>I regret that Tolkien pulled back from the magical, fairytale elements in his published writings. I like that aspect.</i>

Those are unique. I would have liked a little more internal point of view and perhaps more dialogue. But honestly, if he'd have written it in my favorite style it would have been an epic novel. It's a great story and the more I read its component parts, the more character depth one sees in it. Even in our favorite dog! I am really happy I had the chance to write it.

Are you there for me if I decide to write Beren? Then I would have full set. Already have Thingol and Melian.

I wonder if anyone has written fanfic with that! 

Beren and Luthien is like a History of Middle-earth book except it covers only one subject and is not definitive in that case--very partial. Cherry picks items to include. It is required reading for me, but I would not highly recommend it for others--too watered-down for hardcore geeks and too nit-picky to be a popular read. And never by any stretch of the imagination is it novelistic. It is not organized like Children of Hurin, which does more or less read like a novel. I liked the Beren and Luthien book because it was fun to follow Christopher Tolkien's lead and see what he might include and where. I have been told the illustrations are good but I cannot see them. Too faded and desaturated for my failing eyesight. (I did not like that style when I was fully sighted! Give me some color and definition, please!)

Beren and Luthien would have been the story to novelise, what a missed opportunity.

If you ever run across a Beren in the haunted forest fanfic please let me know. I'd love to read it.

i love book illustrations that look like they were done in the old days (which goes back a ways at my age), but I don't like when they look faded. I'm a fan of color too.

 

I'm commenting on this one, though I might comment on any number of others.  I remember being very grateful because of what I had been writing at the time that you were completing this particular bio.  I think, for that story, I read this one, Celebrimbor's, Thingol's, Galadriel, Huan, and more, simply to be sure I was on the right track to my own apostacy.  If I have a grasp on any of those characters, it is due in part to you.  If I don't, which I may not, I may have veered closer to the correct direction as a result.

These are informative, amazingly well researched, entertaining and very clearly written. They are definitely a labor of love and I appreciate them and you greatly.