Words of Whimsy and Wit by Lferion

| | |

Horizontal

Five rows in two pairs of half drabbles and a full drabble


 

1. Waggle Winter Waistcoat Wruxled Whole
2. Wallop Wane Wander Waiting Wampum

Wretched Winter, Wruxled in your white Waistcoat of snow, embroidered in ice. Winsome you were once, when seasons were dreams beneath shining Trees and wondrous stars, the world Whole, the sea one span, and a duck could Waggle its way across the king's court without worry of featherbed or food.

Now the light Wanes, as winds Wallop weary walkers, Waiting for the sun to shine again, for the wretched cold to Wander away, taking with it worthless Wampum hail and ruinous rain, freezing fog, killing cold. Wistful we are for wroth and wanton spring, cruel and kind, bountiful and bright.

 

3. Water Want [Wallow/Wood/Wheels] Wain Walrus

They'd built the wains so they could be fitted with wheels for stone and earth or runners for ice and snow. Mud, slush and other intermediate states saw them wallow and strain with their burdens. Walrus fat on the runners made for easier going, though it did little to preserve wood and iron when axle-deep in ice-melt or fording the rare stream; that wanted Song to extract the water before it could freeze again. Findekano and Findarato together had composed the water-removal song (and the ice-to-water song and several others) but everyone who could Sing at all soon learned it.

 

4. Wasp Warm Wild Wick Walnut
5. Warlock Wake Wield Wandreth Walm

Warm summer brings busy bees defending their hives, heavy with honey, wild wasps, willfully wounding, stinging if disturbed. They flourished in Treelight, slept and woke under starlight, made vigorous by the Sun. What wick burns to make candles for the moths? What wind shakes down walnuts as sustenance for squirrels?

Stifling the season, the long light a weapon wielded against the Enemy, wandreth and woeful, they curse the Sun as a warlock set firm in defense of all they oppose. Let hope walm up like clear water, for Himring holds; wake to day, knowing Mithrim yet stands firm and fast.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment