The Divine Hour by jamcake_muses

| | |

One


The first light of dawn was just peering into the valley of Imladris. A thick blanket of snow lay on every branch, stone, fountain, and building in the valley. More snow continued to float down in quick succession. Heavy flakes drifted down dancing in the breeze. Gil-galad watched in awe and trepidation from the comfort of an armchair. He had a blanket draped around his shoulders and his feet tucked under him. 

He looked out into the private courtyard of Elrond’s chambers. Almost half of the birdbath was covered in snow. The hush of the snow covered dawn was so very different. The silence was heavy yet serene. He cast his eyes to the sky, only to see specks of white like flocks of birds against the grey sky.

Snow was a rare thing near the coasts and on the Isle of Balar. All they ever had was miserable freezing rain. If they were lucky a flurry once a decade, which quickly and inevitably turned to freezing rain. But here, snow fell every winter, bringing with it, its little joys. He had relished the last three winters in Imladris, frolicking like he was an elfling again, much to the amusement of his lovers, who were veterans of snow clad winters. 

The last three years was spent in planning and preparing for the march to Mordor. The final stance of all the free people of Middle-Earth against Sauron. They were set to march in a month. Gil-galad cast his eyes to the birdbath again, the snow was mere inches from the basin. Thick flakes raced down to the ground, faster than he had ever imagined they could. How much more would fall? Would the snow melt by then? Surely, it would be worse in the mountain passes. That last of Elendil’s forces had arrived just as autumn fell into winter. They were set to march through the passes to meet with the rest of Elven and Dwarven forces in Lothlórien. 

‘You look far too worried for someone who is free of duties for the day.’ Elrond was leaning on the armchair, disheveled and sleepy-eyed. 

‘The snow falls thick and fast.’ Gil-galad said. ‘How bad is this going to be in the mountain passes?’ 

‘Our scouts and messengers will still be able to get through.’ Elrond said. ‘The Men will not be able to get through, but that is of little concern, most of Elendil’s councilors arrived with the last of the forces in autumn.’ 

‘Elrond, look at the birdbath. It is almost completely covered in snow.’ 

‘What are you talking about? I can still see the basin and at least a quarter of the column.’ 

‘Well, it is still snowing.’ Gil-galad said stubbornly. 

Elrond hummed as he nudged Gil-galad to squeeze into the armchair. He swung his legs across his lap and snuggled into his chest.

‘I will wager that it will cease snowing before the birdbath is covered.’  

‘I’ll take that wager. Loser gets handle Oropher’s missives for a month.’

‘That is hardly fair, you make me write those missives anyway. Do not think I am fooled by your ‘Oh Elrond, I need your opinion, I value it oh so much’ trick.’ 

‘It is no trick. I do value your opinion.’ Gil-galad, suddenly serious. He leaned down and pressed a kiss on his head, before tipping Elrond’s chin up to capture his lips in a lazy kiss. When they parted, Elrond buried his head back into his chest, his fingers playing with loose strands of his hair. They sat in companionable silence watching the flakes fall.

‘It is rude to leave a lady cold and alone in her bed before she wakes.’ Celebrían’s voice chided them.

They turned to see her standing next to the armchair, trying her best to look annoyed, betrayed by a softness in her eyes.

‘If I might remind you, we are in my chambers and technically it is my bed.’ Elrond said.

‘It is too early for your courtier nonsense. Oh move over, Elrond.’  She squeezed herself onto Gil-galad’s lap, nudging Elrond’s legs out of the way and swung her legs over Elrond’s legs. ‘Elrond, you must acquire a bigger armchair if we are to spend more time in your chambers.’ 

If we all return, if Arda survives. Gil-galad thought. 

‘And miss an opportunity to have you both snuggled up to me?’ Gil-galad said instead, bringing his arms around them. Elrond yawned as Celebrían settled against Gil-galad. 

‘As if you need any more excuses to hold us, you dirty sod.’ Celebrían said.

‘I think you are feeling a little left out this morning.’ Gil-galad, pressed her closer and planted a kiss on her head. ‘Apologies, I may have lured Elrond here with my brooding.’ 

‘And what are you brooding about?’ Celebrían asked, pillowing on his shoulder. 

Gil-galad cast his eyes back out to the courtyard, where the flakes were still hurrying down, like they were being chased by the most vicious of hounds. More of the birdbath was covered and the snow had made a neat little mound in the basin. 

‘The snow.’ he said at last. ‘How are we going to get our forces through the mountain passes?’ 

‘We are not to march until a month.’ Celebrían countered. ‘Spring snow never lingers, even if it is unusually heavy for a spring snow storm.’ 

‘But look how much snow there is! And it still has not stopped snowing.’

‘Ereinion thinks that the birdbath is going to be covered before it ceases. I think it will stop before.’ Elrond mumbled. 

‘How can you be so flippant? Look at how much there is, what if the mountain passes are blocked and we cannot get our armies through?’

‘Ereinion, my love, you are wise and knowledgeable in many matters, but the moods of the Hithaeglir is not one of them.’ Celebrían said. ‘Amdir’s people tell me the snow will melt before we are to march.’ 

‘Amdir’s people?!’ Gil-galad looked surprised. Elrond made small disapproving noise.

‘See, this why you are perpetually one diplomatic incident away from your alliance with Oropher and Amdir crumbling. Ereinion, these elves have lived here for millennia, they know every tree, root, and branch and their ancestors.’ Celebrían said. ‘You should put a little more faith in their wisdom.’

Gil-galad sighed. Amdir and Oropher’s people were connected to the lands in a way the Noldor could not comprehend fully. 

‘I will yield to their wisdom. You are the wisest amongst us, Celebrían and I will trust your judgement.’ he said finally. 

‘Spoken like a true politician.’ Celebrían nuzzled into his neck. ‘Take off the crown this morning and just sit with us a while.’ 

Celebrían’s eyes drifted out to the courtyard. Her features melted into a look of pure serenity as she watched the snow fall. Gil-galad could not recall the last time he had seen that look grace her face, but it warmed his heart, easing his own worries. He relaxed into the armchair, letting his shoulders drop. The storm outside thinned. The flakes were small and sluggishly drifted down. The birdbath was only a mere inch short of being covered. Elrond had drifted back to sleep and Celebrían was lazily tracing lines on his hand, with her gaze still fixed on the courtyard, mind distant in thought.  

Under the comforting weight of his lovers, the screams of his worries grew fainter. Here, for just this divine hour, he could forget his duty, his crown, and just be an ellon spending a lazy morning watching the snow with his lovers.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment