A Restless Night in Armenelos by Himring

| | |

A Restless Night in Armenelos

Thus the days of Tar-Palantir became darkened with grief; and he would spend much of his time in the west, and there ascended often the ancient tower of King Minastir upon the hill of Oromët nigh to Andúnië, whence he gazed westward in yearning, hoping to see, maybe, some sail upon the sea. But no ship came ever again from the West to Númenor, and Avallónë was veiled in cloud.

(The Silmarillion, Akallabeth)


He wakes up. The incense Miriel insisted on adding to the braziers to aid restful sleep seems to fog his brain. For a moment, he does not know whether he is Tar-Palantir or Inziladun. Then he remembers they are the same: himself, at different times, caught up in different interactions.

Maybe he should go to Oromet again—climb the tower stairs and look out westward. Maybe the cloud that veils Avallone will part, allowing him a glimpse of white towers he has never seen or of a swift elven ship approaching. Even if none comes, he will sleep better there.

He resisted his father’s command to wed among the King’s Men, only to be estranged from his wife, nevertheless, disagreeing over policies. She fears a backlash will make things worse for the Faithful. She may be right. But how can he share his conviction it is, already, almost too late?

Oromet is far from the unceasing strife that is Armenelos, that Armenelos has always been. It is lonely there, perhaps, but he can think himself back into his mother’s stories of a better time. Does he even think a ship might yet come? Or is he resisting what he knows?

He dozes off again. He dreams he is in Oromet, but as a young boy, as Inziladun. His mother holds him by the hand. They go up the winding stair together. They should have reached the top by now, but they go on climbing, up and up into the sky.


Chapter End Notes

I have sort of interpreted the three angels on the book cover as the three women in Tar-Palantir's life that are referenced in the ficlet.

The ficlet is 5 x 50 words in MS Word: a sequence of half drabbles (for the June Challenge at tolkienshortfanworks).

Previous story featuring Inziladun with his mother Inzilbeth: Secrets 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment