Relief after the Dagor Bragollach by Aprilertuile

| | |

Relief after the Dagor Bragollach


Most of the fighting was over now. The survivors were breathing a foul air, but Himring still stood, the people were as safe as could be, the warriors were holding the area as secure as they could in a sort of desperate frenzy that found perfect echoes in their princes.

But now, Maedhros stood in his office in the fortress, with a messenger, and he called for Maglor.

Said elf came running, looking stressed out, exhausted and clearly wondering what catastrophe had found them this time. 

Only to find Maedhros in the company of a soldier from Himlad, from their brothers. A soldier that Maedhros dismissed and sent to find a place to rest wherever he could in the very active fortress.

The elf left and Maedhros turned toward his brother, with a clearly relieved face, even as he offered him the open letter.

"They're alive."

Maglor felt his legs give out from under him at the sudden relief that coursed through him. Maedhros caught him, mindless of the letter that ended up on the floor of the office, and pushed him to sit on the nearest surface available. 

"Oh thanks Eru, the Valar, whoever is listening."

That had Maedhros snort in amusement.

"Where are they? Are they injured? Do they need anything? We can send...

-They don't need anything and they're fine. As for where they are, they took refuge in Nargothrond.

-Nargothrond?

-Yes.”

Maedhros nodded as he saw clear questioning in his brother’s eyes. He had felt the same curiosity while reading the letter. But it was of no matter for now. Their brothers were safe with their cousin, and they were the last one they had lacked news from.  

“And Tyelpe?

-With them. They're all safe, Laurë. The Ambarussa and Caranthir, and Curufin, Celegorm, and Tyelpe. They're all alive and safe."

A relieved laugh escaped Maglor at that, even as tears brightened his eyes.

Maedhros sneaked an arm around his shoulders and Maglor leaned against him.

"They're safe, they’re not alone, and we'll see them again soon."


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment