Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I think he does. He observes that they behave like "Mortals or Feanorians" in leaving their weapons, and although he feels that they qualify as neither, "not really", he is aware that in some ways, they are both (half-)mortal and (raised) Feanorian.
I was also trying to allude to their Feanorian upbringing with my cumbersome description of their assymetrical cloaks, covering their right shoulder (and thus, their right arms). I probably didn't make a very good job of it, but in my 'verse, this is a typically Feanorian thing - a fashionable show of solidarity with Maedhros ("Our leader can't use his right hand, so we hide ours, too"). It's distantly inspired by the Renaissance mantella, only reversed, and as a long cloak rather than a cape. Although Elrond and Elros are no longer among the Feanorians at this point in the story, they continue to wear their cloaks "Feanorian-style", possibly as an act of rebellion or a covert vote of confidence. I am not sure Eärendil picks up on that, however, although he does pick up on the strangeness of the cloak.
But anyway, yes, he knows, and when he assumes that they "called another man their father", he means Maglor.