Beren and the Cats by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Beren and the Cats


FA 438, Dorthonion

"Where did you find these, my son?" Six-year-old Beren looked up. He had not heard Lady Emeldir's approach, but now he blushed a little. She was accompanied by her friend Eilinel, who was fond of him. She had been the one who gave him permission to have the kittens.

"They looked hungry, Mother," Beren said carefully, cradling the trio of white, grey and black kittens in his lap as he hand-fed them scraps of meat he had begged from Cook. "They had no mother to look after them any more."

Eilinel rolled her eyes in exasperation. "Thank you, little one," she replied dryly. "What your son means, lady, is that Gorlim did not wish Patches' brood to remain with us any longer. Beren generously offered to take them."

"I see," Emeldir knelt down to study them. "You will have to work very hard to look after them, my son. Do you understand? They will be your responsibility, Beren."

"I understand," Beren replied, but his eyes shone with joy. They will be mine. "Thank you, Mother."

 

FA 455

Three cats. They had three cats ever since, Beren reflected. It should be this way.

"Beren, what are you doing, cousin?" Baragund, twelve years Beren's elder and therefore always supposing he knew better. Beren couldn't help scowling. "I am bringing Arrow, Pouncer and Hunter with us."

"They are terrifying," Baragund said sardonically, looking at the kittens as Beren tucked them into the largest of his belt pouches. "Extra mouths to feed."

"They will earn their keep," Beren protested.

 

FA 460

Beren had been out hunting with his cats beside him, grown into fine hunting companions, when he had seen it. The wraith of Gorlim. They quick-footed it back to camp, too late to save their companions - but at least Barahir's Ring was salvaged.

Arrow, Pouncer, and Hunter wove themselves about Beren's feet as he mourned. Then his gaze hardened.

"This will not stand. Come, we hunt."

Hunt. The three mewed their approval.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment