Marta's Mathoms - BMEM 2011 by Marta

| | |

Things as Yet May Be - Notes


The dialogue from the third section comes from the Lord of the Rings appendices. Much of Galadriel's description of the mirror (including the titular phrase) is taken from "The Mirror of Galadriel."

The plot bunny is taken from my friend Larry. He once pointed out that Galadriel warns against using the Mirror as a guide because "the Mirror shows many things, and not all have yet come to pass. Some never come to be, unless those that beheld the visions turn aside from their path to prevent them. The Mirror is dangerous as a guide of deeds." It sounds like Galadriel has had bad experiences with using the Mirror "as a guide of deeds." But when?

I have a vague memory that the Mirror was crafted by Fëanor in canon, though I can't find a reference in either the Lord of the Rings, the Silmarillion, or Unfinished Tales. So perhaps that is my own invention. In any event he seems as likely a creator as any.

Re: Galadriel's past involvement in Gondor's history. Unfinished Tales says that Eorl's riders were aided by a white mist that helped them reach the Fields of Celebrant in time to help Gondor in battle. Some of Eorl's men attribute this to Galadriel's intervention.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment