An Orc walks into a Library... by chrissystriped

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A librarian in Alqualonde has an interesting morning.

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s), Original Male Character(s), Elves, Orcs

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe, General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 564
Posted on 29 July 2021 Updated on 27 August 2022

This fanwork is complete.

An Orc walks into a Library...

Read An Orc walks into a Library...

 

It was a slow morning at the library, I’d left the desk to re-shelf some books that had been brought back by some kids on their way to school, when I heard the bell on the door ring. I moved forward through the shelves, stopping short, when I realised that the person,  looking around in the way of someone not sure about where to start searching, was an orc.

We’d gotten used to them living on the Island and having stalls at the harbour market, but this was the first time, one had found his way into my library. Maybe I was biased, but I didn’t think they were big on reading. I was glad he hadn’t seen me yet, because I was sure my face showed my surprise and I didn’t want to make him feel out of place. I tried to make everyone feel welcome — except for people who exceeded their lending period, those I let feel my displeasure very clearly.

“God morning”, I said with a smile. “How may I help you?”

He jumped a little and swiftly turned around.

“Oh.” He looked uncomfortable. “I’m trying to find out more about… elvish marriage customs.” He only mumbled the last words so I almost didn’t understand him. “I’ve heard there’s a book about it?”

“Do you mean ‘Laws and Customs among the Eldar’?”, I answered. “Most people think it a bit outdated and also very Noldor-centric. But if you want to take a look, I can show you, where it is.”

He nodded and I led him to the shelf. “You’ll also find other academic writings about marriage among the different people of the Quendi here, if that interests you.”

“Thank you”, he said with a tentative smile. “I’ll look around a bit, if that’s okay?”

“Of course it is. And feel free to tell me, if you need anything.”

I left him to himself, knowing well that most patrons didn’t like feeling watched.

 

I was cataloguing some new books, when he resurfaced a good hour later, carrying a small stack of books.

“I’d like to lend those”, he said in a small voice.

I smiled to myself. He didn’t look as intimidating as he should with all his muscles and yellow predator eyes, just a little lost. I pushed a form over the counter.

“We need some of your data, please fill this out.”

While he did so, I took the book cards and noted down the lending period. I smiled when I also found some romance novels among his choices.

“I liked that one”, I said tapping the green cloth cover of one of them. “It’s a lovely story — and more realistic than some others. If you take a liking to it, I can recommend some more”, I eyed the form, “Sharû.”

He laughed nervously. “Thank you, I’ll think about it.”

I watched him leave, thinking that he was the most interesting patron I’d had in a while. I was curious why he was interested in elvish marriage customs and if an elf was the reason, but of course I couldn’t ask a stranger about his private live. I guessed, we’d find out. If an orc married an elf, that would be a topic for gossip for weeks.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

chrissystriped has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics, Style. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.