New Challenge: X Marks the Spot

X Marks the Spot - SWG Challenge - 15 October through 15 November 2022

Every year, we run a challenge that we call a Matryoshka after the concept of the Russian nesting dolls where you lift one doll to find another, smaller doll inside. Similarly, the Matryoshka challenge concept centers on the idea that you complete a prompt to find that it leads you to another prompt, which you must try to then incorporate into your fanwork-in-progress. The idea is that you are always building a fanwork but never entirely sure where it might end up going.

This month's X Marks the Spot challenge uses this concept with a twist. Instead of us sending a series of emails with prompts, you will choose your own prompts from a map of Beleriand. You may choose to complete a challenge using two, three, five, or seven prompts. (Seven is jaw-dropping and will earn you a special stamp—the least we can do for those of you willing to subject yourself to this! Let us know in the fanwork notes if you complete the Difficult level challenge.)

So how to participate?

Choose a starting location. Note that a few locations have special rules. You'll find these on the prompt list.

Decide your level of challenge and follow the paths on the map to complete that many prompts. Note that the prompt list will show next locations, and hovering over a location on the list will show you its prompt. As always, prompts are intentionally open-ended and often have multiple interpretations. How you satisfy a prompt is entirely up to you, and we encourage creative thinking and the shameless exploitation of loopholes presented in the prompts.

All fanwork types are eligible for this challenge.

Ready to start your journey? For more information on the X Marks the Spot challenge and to view the map and prompts, click here.

In order to receive a stamp for your fanwork, your response must be posted to the archive on or before 15 November 2022. For complete challenge guidelines, see the Challenges page on our website.

Finally, many thanks to Grundy, who planned and designed the map and graphics for this month's challenge!


Posted on 14 October 2022 (updated 14 November 2022) by SWG Moderators