Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Nargothrond really is perfectly situated for it!

And honestly, boy has to be bad at something (it is almost painful for me to give him negatives, which is why it's even more important that I do so).  I want to say that it's just a matter of impatience. He doesn't want to take the time to do what is required to get a good result. He prefers to spend his attention on other tasks.  He will spend years studying and recording the various unique culinary approaches by various people groups without without ever setting foot in a kitchen.

Having someone cook for you while you watch and ask questions, or serving as prep partner for a better cook while talking about what will be done with the mise is a lovely way to learn and build trust and connections. Finrod not being a cook is a smart strategy for his anthropologist's soul! 

So many interesting thoughts and ideas here! Finrod really would have had such a multicultural experience growing up and I think you are right that would help him later on in Beleriand. I love the idea that building things makes him happy. And appreciate the nod to Daeron. I have no doubt they talked at length. 

Perhaps, in a way, it was Finrod pushing back on the idea that he was wise, or at least pushing back on the claim of it.  The almost paradox of being more wise by denying wisdom seems to fit Finrod oddly well.  Perhaps it’s his way of trying to temper the arrogance he might otherwise fall into more readily.

That's a very interesting idea! It is so unique that Finrod has names in so many languages. Really emphasises the point you keep coming back to about how he builds bridges between cultures.