To Hold the Future in My Hand by cuarthol

| | |

To Hold the Future in My Hand

Elulindo was a son of Olwë in an early version of the legendarium.


The boat was small, having no sail but rather drawn by four graceful swans, a practice which none but the royal family now observed.

Far beyond the sheltered harbor of Alqualondë, Elulindo steered south.  Though barely seen from beyond the Pelóri, Laurelin and Telperion would wax and wane many times over before they reached their destination where the waters turned warm.

Music helped pass the journey, Arafin often playing upon his flute, while Elulindo sang hymns to star and sea, recalling ancient memories of sweet waters beneath distant skies.  But at other times they spoke of the future rather than the past, of plans and hopes.

It was this hoped-for future that had prompted their voyage.  Arafin had gathered his courage and asked for Elulindo’s aid, and Elulindo had been only too eager to give it.  Without any delay they had loaded the small craft with provisions enough for the trip and secreted away before Arafin could lose his nerve.

The air was light, the waves calm, and seabirds sang with them at times.  They passed beside playful dolphins and through kelp forests, and Elulindo once was certain he saw Ossë and Uinen dancing upon the distant star-lit shore.

When they at last had come to the reef-waters, Elulindo rewarded the swans well, a small bribe to ensure they did not wander too far.  He supposed they could row back if necessary, but he had little desire to do so.  The swans seemed happy enough with the gift of fish and sea vegetables, making contented little sounds which assured Elulindo they would remain nearby.

Even elvish eyes could not fully pierce the darkness beneath the waves with nothing but starlight, and much of the beauty of Ulmo’s realm had passed unseen beneath their ships before the Noldor had learned the skill of making their crystal lamps which radiated with a soft blue luminescence.

Now they secured the lamps to cords tied at their waist, leaving the rest of their clothes behind as they slipped into the water.  Taking a few deep breaths, they dove down.

At first Arafin could not help but be captivated as the brilliant colors and undulating forms of the corals welcomed them.  Schools of fish and swaying sea grasses, urchins and anemones, eels and jellyfish, snakes and sea-dragons aglow in red and orange and green could be seen as they swam along the reef.

He might almost have forgotten why he was here, there was so much to entrance him.  It was fortunate Elulindo was not a stranger to these waters, guiding his companion as surely as he had the boat until they found what they were after.

With his knife, Arafin carefully pried the oysters free of their rock, collecting several in a small net bag.  Once the task was accomplished, and with little demand on their time, they gave themselves over to the lure of the reef.  There was much to explore, and no hope of seeing even a fraction of it, but at last Arafin’s curiosity was sated for a while.

When they had returned to the boat, Elulindo cupped Arafin’s hands around each oyster, teaching him the song which would open them.  It was a strange music, and Arafin was not entirely sure he learned it well enough himself, but the oysters opened to Elulindo’s songs, and before long Arafin had his prize: a single shining pearl.

They steamed their harvest on the return journey, giving thanks to Ulmo for the bounty and beauty of the sea.  Arafin could not help but take the pearl out over and over, gazing at it with awe and delight.  Elulindo teased him that if he should drop it, he alone would be searching the seafloor to recover it.  But it did not fall, and they returned to the harbor without incident.

Arafin took the pearl to his elder half-brother, whose skill and craft were unparalleled.  Though Fëanor was less than eager to employ his talents for the benefit of Indis’s son, the stroke to his ego at being called the only one worthy of the task won him over.

So it was at last that Arafin came to Eärwen and presented the ring, crafted from coral and silver and set with his pearl, and asked her to be his wife.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment