The Shadow of Wings by Ermingarden

| | |

Brooch with Intaglio Medallion of Three Valar


Brooch with Intaglio Medallion of Three Valar 

Mid-First Age Beleriand

Brass, approx. 1" by 1" 

 

Pins, pendants, and other articles of jewelry bearing images of the Valar were frequently worn as both devotional objects and protective amulets in First Age Beleriand. The presolar Sindarin custom of wearing an image of Varda – either anthropomorphized or represented by a star – spread to both the Noldor and the Edain. Manwë's direct intervention in Fingon Nolofinwion's rescue of Maedhros Fëanorion increased Manwë's reputation among both the Noldor and the Sindar as a protector against Morgoth, and Manwë frequently appears alongside his wife in devotional and talismanic images.

The traditional apotropaic duo of Manwë and Varda are joined on this brooch by Ulmo, suggesting that the original owner may have been a sailor or fisherman. The inscription on the back of the brooch is largely worn away, but in one place the letters ANEINI are visible – almost certainly part of the most common Sindarin title for Manwë, Aran Einior ("Elder King").

The small size of this brooch would have made it unsuitable for clasping a cloak or other article of outerwear. Instead, it was likely worn pinned to the inner garments. The clasp has been repaired at least twice; this, combined with the general wear pattern, indicates regular use over a long period of time, possibly centuries.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment